• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question to people with trackball issues

zarem

May 26, 2010
Michigan
Do you still have you original battery?

Cause i had a phone that had the track ball issue then i had a replacement that developed the same problem. But my now third eris i got the 1700mah repacement battery and i have noticed my phone doesn't heat up like it did when i had the stock battery. So do you think the stock battery had something to do with it?

I think the prevailing theory of why people have trackball issues is due to the physical proximity of the trackball to the USB connector.

People have noticed that slightly moving the USB cable when connected to the phone will sometimes also cause the trackball to move.

I believe that people that plug and unplug their Erises (Erii?) a lot might be more susceptible to the trackball issue than those that don't or haven't. But, its probably just a matter of time for all of us...:(

Upvote 0
My third Eris finally gave up the trackball ghost about 2 weeks ago, 2 weeks after I got it. The USB port had problems from the start and nothing remedied the trackball issue. Tried cleaning with alcohol, rubbing it on a sheet of paper, plugging the USB in etc. The trackball also starts moving on its own which is annoying so I finally called Verizon today and am getting an early upgrade (11 months in on a 2 year contract). So I ordered a DINC as I want the smallest possible phone. They waived the $20 early upgrade fee and I'm paying the regular price $199 after a $100 rebate but I am happy with that. As I'll still have the Eris to play around with and can use it as a Skype phone.

Upvote 0
Based on reading everything I could about trackball going to the left and my own experience, my best theory is this: First of all, it only happens while plugged in to the USB. It may occur after based on how much a person bends or pushes the plugin to try and fix it. The cause is the contacts below the trackball heat up and eventually fry. The reason I went with this theory is because this issue happened to me right after I used a portable battery powered USB charger to charge my phone. In hindsight it all made sense because I do recall my battery, phone, and usb port getting hot when I was using it and has not occurred since I got a replacement while only using factory HTC chargers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones