• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question: Updating / Restoring phone

I have previously rooted my phone, a while ago. Current about phone info:

SPH-M820_BST
S:M820.07 x.FE16
Gingerbread.FE16
M820.07

Here's my question, I know if I want to install the latest official update that it's been nagging me to do for a while, I will lose the benefits of rooting. If I do want to go back to a stock phone, can I just follow the on phone prompts and install the latest stock firmware or would I first need to go thru the rooting process and revert to my old software, then do the auto install thru boost?

And if I can just do it thru the phone/boost, should I clear out downloaded programs for more space in the memory for the process?

Thanks for any help. :D

Thanks Lord Vincent. One more question about it. I know there isn't any guarantee, but if I accept the update and it breaks the root, will it cause any problems with the phone or the process?

I am thinking that I might want to get a new phone in the near future and would want to set this one back to normal, but I don't want to brick it either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones