• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question using backups with bootstrap

travishamockery

Jul 11, 2010
Question for you all. I have no problem restoring from backups, but has anyone successfully done this and not had the incorrect password with motoblur error? If so, how? I can't for the life of me do a backup and not get that error so it's kind of making backups pointless right now since we need communication with blur for the update service to get the OTA froyo update.

It seems like any time you restore the data as well (not just apps) it does this and you need to factory reset and then restore the backup again without data.

I'm pretty sure it happens when I've chosen to restore all "apps and system data", but there is also an option to restore all "apps and data" which is a lower number of files...I wonder if this option would not cause the issue? Being able to restore any data would be nice but not if it's always going to give this problem...

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I'm wondering about this also. I have done a full backup using Bootstrap but I have not done a restore yet (and hopefully won't have to). Can you describe this error a bit more? It's a popup that appears asking for a user/password for Blur? And it keeps popping up?

I thought that the Bootstrap backup was supposedly an exact image of your phone at the time of backup? I wonder why it would be causing this error then?

Upvote 0
My original question was with doing a nandroid restore with boostrap. as mentioned above too, I thought this was to be an exact image of the phone, so not sure why we would get this incorrect login/password error with Blur services. All it affects I can tell it the ability to communicate with the update server. In its self, that's not a major problem, but with the forthcoming OTA, I want that to work. I've since restored with TiBU w/o the problem.

It shows as a notification, an orange star with an exclamation in it saying either username or password is incorrect for blur services. Found this thread with some others having the issue.
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/155710-moto-blur-service-error-please-help.html

Upvote 0
My original question was with doing a nandroid restore with boostrap. as mentioned above too, I thought this was to be an exact image of the phone, so not sure why we would get this incorrect login/password error with Blur services. All it affects I can tell it the ability to communicate with the update server. In its self, that's not a major problem, but with the forthcoming OTA, I want that to work. I've since restored with TiBU w/o the problem.

It shows as a notification, an orange star with an exclamation in it saying either username or password is incorrect for blur services. Found this thread with some others having the issue.
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/155710-moto-blur-service-error-please-help.html

I've restored a few (4 or 5) nandroid backups and have not had anything password related pop up.

Upvote 0
I've done ONE restore, and I got this error, it was discouraging and haven't used bootstrap since. I am also looking for a solution.

I'll explain it more:
I installed 2.1 Fresh after Wiping Data and doing an SBF...rooted, installed bootstrap, and did a restore. AS soon as I booted up I got this error about the blur password and there was no way to get rid of it.

Upvote 0
I've restored a few (4 or 5) nandroid backups and have not had anything password related pop up.

Very weird. From looking at it on my phone it looks like the password sent to them is a randomized password. I wonder if the problem is that it is using a prior used random password and the blur system is flagging it as used? It's driving me crazy cause it is kind of defeating the purpose of the backup. Once we get legit froyo it won't be an issue because I won't have use for the update server. I assume this wouldn't be an issue either running a vanilla froyo since we wouldn't have blur on it.

Upvote 0

If I understand correctly, if you have Bootstrap installed, you won't be able to get the OTA update anyway. I believe you'll have to wait until the OTA update is released as an update.zip and install it manually. In which case, you'll never have any need for the update server anyway. On the other hand, if this error message pops up in notifications and there is no way to get rid of it, it's obviously still going to be a problem!

I've subscribed to this thread because I may have to do a restore at some point!

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly, if you have Bootstrap installed, you won't be able to get the OTA update anyway. I believe you'll have to wait until the OTA update is released as an update.zip and install it manually. In which case, you'll never have any need for the update server anyway. On the other hand, if this error message pops up in notifications and there is no way to get rid of it, it's obviously still going to be a problem!

I've subscribed to this thread because I may have to do a restore at some point!

well bootstrap isn't an issue to reverse, so that's not a huge issue for me. I just want to be able to use my backups w/o this error.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones