• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Question] Why can't i make my phone STOP swapping operators without my permission? Help!

Anba

Lurker
Sep 30, 2011
After updating my Incredible S with the newest Android Operation System, was a big update with a lot of new stuff! Anyway my problem is that my phone keeps changing to another network operator than my own, and it uses one from a neighbour country, this month my bill was almost 8 times the normal amount.

I go into the network settings and manually select my own operator, and I can't find any options to turn off auto connecting to random networks, prior to this update I've never had to
Anyone who can help?

Have you got 'roaming' switched off? That would stop you connecting to foreign networks for data at least and might keep your operator more stable? Also try a phone reboot....take battery out, replace and turn back on. Reboot often sorts out little glitches.

Really appreciate your feedback!

I turned Data Roaming off, Data Roaming Sound (doubt it matters, but wth - cant hurt to try) and "Enable always-on mobile data".

All deactivated, and I did as you suggested it, rebooting it the hard way - still the same.

Anyone else got any ideas? Willing to try pretty much anything

Upvote 0
Really appreciate your feedback!

I turned Data Roaming off, Data Roaming Sound (doubt it matters, but wth - cant hurt to try) and "Enable always-on mobile data".

All deactivated, and I did as you suggested it, rebooting it the hard way - still the same.

Anyone else got any ideas? Willing to try pretty much anything
OK....next option is with your APN settings, the updates seem to affect them for no reason. Usually they are under Mobile network settings and should give you an option to restore defaults under one of the menus. Try giving that a go.....if that doesn't work try an app called APN lock which I understand overrides the phone stock settings allowing you to force single operator use.

Hopefully one of those options will help.

BTW do you know Abbekos?

Reactions: Anba
Upvote 0
OK....next option is with your APN settings, the updates seem to affect them for no reason. Usually they are under Mobile network settings and should give you an option to restore defaults under one of the menus. Try giving that a go.....if that doesn't work try an app called APN lock which I understand overrides the phone stock settings allowing you to force single operator use.

Hopefully one of those options will help.

BTW do you know Abbekos?

Sounds like just the thing I was after!

I'll be giving it a try and fill you in on the result

Edit: Nope what's Abbekos?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones