1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Question] Why can't i make my phone STOP swapping operators without my permission? Help!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Anba, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Anba

Anba Lurker

After updating my Incredible S with the newest Android Operation System, was a big update with a lot of new stuff! Anyway my problem is that my phone keeps changing to another network operator than my own, and it uses one from a neighbour country, this month my bill was almost 8 times the normal amount.

I go into the network settings and manually select my own operator, and I can't find any options to turn off auto connecting to random networks, prior to this update I've never had to
    Anyone who can help?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Anba

Anba Lurker

Got another insane bill this month - bumping in hope someone has a solution for me.

3. Tattycakes

Tattycakes Well-Known Member

What country are you in? Is your phone actually picking up the network of a neighbouring country?? How far away?

Anba likes this.
  4. Anba

Anba Lurker

I live in sweden and work in denmark, and I live just 8 km from the border

And yeah normally I'd use my swedish "Tele2 Sweden 3G" but it keeps changing to a danish operator called IQ, and they charge insane fees if you ask me

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

My guess is you're using a phone that does not use a SIM card?

Since you're using an HTC device, we might have a little difference in the menu structure, but I'd suggest looking into menu>settings>wireless and network>mobile networks>network operator and see if there is a toggle to turn off the automatic network selection.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

My guess is you're using a phone that does not use a SIM card?

Since you're using an HTC device, we might have a little difference in the menu structure, but I'd suggest looking into menu>settings>wireless and network>mobile networks>network operator and see if there is a toggle to turn off the automatic network selection.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Have you got 'roaming' switched off? That would stop you connecting to foreign networks for data at least and might keep your operator more stable? Also try a phone reboot....take battery out, replace and turn back on. Reboot often sorts out little glitches.

Anba likes this.
  8. Anba

Anba Lurker

Really appreciate your feedback!

I turned Data Roaming off, Data Roaming Sound (doubt it matters, but wth - cant hurt to try) and "Enable always-on mobile data".

All deactivated, and I did as you suggested it, rebooting it the hard way - still the same.

Anyone else got any ideas? Willing to try pretty much anything

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

OK....next option is with your APN settings, the updates seem to affect them for no reason. Usually they are under Mobile network settings and should give you an option to restore defaults under one of the menus. Try giving that a go.....if that doesn't work try an app called APN lock which I understand overrides the phone stock settings allowing you to force single operator use.

Hopefully one of those options will help.

BTW do you know Abbekos?

Anba likes this.
  10. Anba

Anba Lurker

Sounds like just the thing I was after!

I'll be giving it a try and fill you in on the result

Edit: Nope what's Abbekos?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Just a small fishing village near Malmo that I know as I have family there....when you mentioned living in Sweden but working in Denmark I just wondered...a lot of people commute from that area.

Anba likes this.
  12. Anba

Anba Lurker

Alright hehe.

I'm using the HH line, between Helsingborg and Helsing

13. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

Have you tried contacting your provider? That would be step 1 for me.