1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Question?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by morlove, Jun 3, 2011.

1. morlove

morlove Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    How do you tether the Google Nexus-S phone? When I plug the USB port into my comptuer, the phone tells me to touch to configure, but when I go touch the phone to configure, it won't configure. Any thoughts on why this would be happening and the 4 G won't connect. I'm in a 3 G area, but was able to connect to 4 G a couple of days ago.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    When you say tether are you trying to use your phone for internet on your computer?

3. morlove

morlove Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    "are you trying to use your phone for internet on your computer?"

Yes...
    I do not have an internet connection in my apartment and am trying to connect my laptop through my phone (if that makes sense)

Is tethering the best or only option?

*** I am very new to all of this and really don't know what I am doing - so Please, don't skimp on the details :)

As mentioned above - when I connected the phone it would not configure and my laptop would not recognize the devise. Why or any ideas on how to get that process going???

Thanks again!

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    If your Laptop has WiFi just use the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
    On your phone go to
    settings-wireless & networks-Tethering & portable hotspot
    Put a check in the box for portable Wi-Fi hotspot
    now on your laptop open up your wireless manager and find the AndroidAP and connect.
    No USB cable needed

morlove likes this.
  5. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member
    None

You might be disappointed with the performance of the Nexus as a 4G hotspot, but this is probably by design. I concur with others who found that when you activate the 4G hotspot, either WiFi or USB wired connection, the Nexus drops the connections to the broadband data networks.

While I'm typing this message on my desktop, my laptop is using the Nexus WiFi hotspot in 4G mode. A ping process is cycling through reporting 2 to 4 good echos, then it fails for about 15-20 seconds while the phone hunts for a data connection, then the process repeats. Useless for anything but loading a small page and reading it statically. The 3G and 4G icons do a little dance across the status bar at the top.

Now that I've turned off the 4G radio it seems to be holding in there, but with abysmal latency across their network to the BellSouth DSL pop that I'm pinging. What should be 40-80 msecond ping times are averaging around 400-800 msecs. The throughput is about the same as my very crappy BellSouth DSL Lite service.

They probably don't want people loading up their 4G network with anything other than the Nexus phone itself, I'm thinking.

Tags: