1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

question

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by datdude70, Jan 15, 2013.

1. datdude70

datdude70 Lurker
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Alabama
    My phone is sending text messages to people that I am not sending. I even had a instance where my phone called someone 5 or 6 times while it was sitting on my fridge and I was outside. I know this sounds crazy but it is happening. I've ruled out reply to all with the text messages. I'm not sure about the phone calls. My phone was locked when it made the calls. I have the Samsung Galaxy Precedent SCH-M828C. I've had this phone for over a year now. This started back in the fall. It stopped now it's doing it again. Has anybody else had this problem? MAybe I'm doing something wrong. Is it possible I've been hacked or something? Thanks..

Advertisement

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    Do you recall installing any apps prier to this happening? Do you know what the text messages are saying that are being sent? I'm wondering if an app you installed had malware attached to it.

3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you tried factory resetting the device? I mean this could be a last resort since it will delete everything from your device but it still might be a good option.

Otherwise have you made sure that everything you have downloaded on your device is from the Play Store? If not you could have malware.

4. datdude70

datdude70 Lurker
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks for the quick replies. The text messages are saying things like would you pick me up from the airport because my brother can't pick me up. What time should I come over etc. I"m not sending those messages I don't even have a brother. It's weird. I did download some ringtones from Zedge (I hope it's ok to put that). I also downloaded the free AVG anti-virus, but that hasn't helped. If I reset to the factory settings I will lose my contacts and everything correct? Also I get a low disk space warning dated 12/31/06 is that normal. First time I have seen that. I haven't added any new apps etc. One more thing my phone said something to the effect that my text messages are full, but I always delete my messages. The voicemail icon is present, but when I check my voicemails I don't have any. I've taken the battery out and put it back in but the icon will not go away. I updated my profile PRL Firmware Android nothing seems to help. Thanks.

5. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    As long as your contacts are in your phone as Google contacts and not phone contacts they should be backed up in Google's server. So, after your factory reset all your contacts will return once you long into the phone again.

With all these issues you are seeing I'm thinking a factory reset maybe in order.

6. datdude70

datdude70 Lurker
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks my contacts are listed as Google Contacts I just checked.

7. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    You should go into accounts and select Google. Verify sync contacts is checked.

8. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yep once you do this you should be good, factory reset, and then tell us what happens :)

Remember when you log back in your account after you restart the device it will automatically sync all your apps and contacts.

Personally I would suggest to stay away from sites giving away "free" ringtones as usually they just spam your phone with crap. :)