1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Question!!!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by excpro, Apr 30, 2010.

1. excpro

excpro Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi all, i think the questions im about to ask have asked alot of times already. But still, im new to this and i will like some clarification with everyone here tats gonna help me.

With regards to this website about Root:

Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

here are my questions :

Whats so good about a custom ROM?

And they mentioned "backing up the system" , Couldn't we normally do that?

Advertisement

2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Nope, your thinking of a factory restore. Which wipes all content from the phone and starts back a day 1.

3. excpro

excpro Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    no im thinking of backup like moving our stuffs into the SD card? cant we normally do that?

4. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Oh, hmm. Specifically talking backing up. I know there are some programs (like Astro) that will copy app installations on your card so you don't have to re-download them again.

I might have to look at the "ROM Manager" their talking about...

5. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    With an un-rooted device, you can backup some things, like apps, and maybe data, to the SD card but that's about it.

Once rooted however, you can flash a custom recovery image which should contain a program, usually nandroid, used to create full system images of your device. OS, apps, data, the whole works. This way if anything ever goes wrong, you have a full backup that can be restored.