• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about being a new user

sunnydogday

May 15, 2013
I found this forum via Google, because of putting in questions looking for help with my new (upgrade from a flip phone) Galaxy Exhilerate i577. I have been trying to figure some things out for 4 days and going in circles, and ATT isn't any help (they say its my phone settings and not service)
I registered here, and posted, asking the questions in the Android topic, that said for general discussion and questions, and help, and when I sent it, I got a box saying

We're sorry, but in your first post you can not include links or images. This is to help combat spam. (There are also some keywords that trigger this)

Consider introducing yourself as your initial post to get past this limitation!
I didn't put any links or images in it. I mentioned AT&T and their lack of helping me figure out why things aren't working (Like pictuers not sending with texts)
I'm a "grandma" and this is fairly new to me (though I have a computer and did have a simple cell phone) I don't just "know" where things on the phone are, what settings do what and how they should be set. I Google the questions and get YouTube videos, and forums with people asking and sometimes answers, but not what I need, or if I try it, it doesn't work.
Can someone tell me what I did wrong- that my post asking for help with this (from people who would know) wasn't put on?
Unless maybe it has to be approved and will be on later, but I got the message after about the links and images.
I guess if I did something that wouldn't allow the previous post (with questions) to go on, this one probably won't either?
Now I'm more confused than when I started LOL

Reactions: jmar
Hi there, sunnydogday . Please let me welcome you to Android Forums. I am sorry for your difficulty in your initial post. :)

We do have a forum for your phone, where others who have the same one gather and post, but it doesn't seem to be really busy.

Here it is, Samsung Exhilarate - Android Forums you might find something of interest there.

But in the mean time, please give us another chance by asking some questions and see if we can help you.

We are a friendly place. Really. :)

Upvote 0
Welcome sunnydogday:)
You should be able to post fine now that your first post is there:)
We deal with quite a bit of spam here, so please don't take some of the limitations on the first post personally:)
We do want to help here and hope your experience here on out will be a pleasant one:)

Edit: I just re-read my post here...why do I use so many smileys? :p

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, it seems like a friendly place, I'm just a little frustrated and stressed trying to figure this stuff out with the phone! Being new to this type of phone, I seem to go in circles. Should I ask questionshere or find another topic? The main one, which isn't really a big deal, but I want it to work just so it will, you know? Is sending (and receiving) pictures in text. First when I tried sending a picture, it would say too big and compressing, then sending and nothing happened, it finally just stopped and the person didn't get it. I tried it several ways, attaching it to the text, finding one in gallery and SEND AS, and taking one and sending it. When someone sends me a picture, it says (in a box) Message size32K expires (whatever) and DOWNLOAD. Then it says downloading nothing happens, and it stops. My daughter said the pictures might be too big (ones I try and send, even though it said it was resizing them) and Androids need apps, I got a photo edit app. Then I coudln't figure this out, but found the settings on the phone/camera (through the app. I found them on the phone but couldn't get them to work) and changed the settings from best quality to normal. now it doesn't say too big, complressing (to send) but still just sending... and nothing happens. I looked this up (Google) on my computer and found others asking this but no real answers. Links that go to ATT don't seem to help, they just give basics (like how to do something) and assume it will work. My daughter (it's her ATT family plan) called ATT and asked and they said the settings are okay on their end it it must be something on my phone not right. Before I got the Android (upgrade) I had a basic flip phone, Samsung Rugby2 that took send and received pictures fine. We have all the data plan, etc we need for texting and picutres. Someone else on our family plan just got the same phone as me, and says pictuers send and come in fine for him and he didn't have to anyting, like set it up (once it was set up with ATT to start)
I found one answer (online) someone was told they had to go in and check "use packet data" and then clear the settings, and restart to have that take over. I tried this (not knowing what I was doing) and after that, couldn't send texts at all (but could get them) I unchecked the packet data place (like it was) and texts still didn't work, I figured I messed something up. But the next moring I could send texts again. Same with the pictures, I never could send or receive them.
I hope this isn't too confusing and if it's not okay to ask it here, maybe someone could move it. I have a list of things I'm trying to find out maybe one problem at a time LOL

Reactions: jmar and dustwun77
Upvote 0
Thanks! At this point it's like "I want to get it to work to get it to work" and I don't know what I'm doing and the "instructions" aren't any help. The first night I got it I saw one of my grandkids (a teenager) who set up a ringtone and set it so it wouldn't vibrate when it rang, in about 3 mins. But I haven't seen him again and he has another phone, but I think a Galaxy. This is like "welcome to the 21st century?" (I remember when you dialed a phone and called someone and had to sit and talk where the phone was plugged in LOL)

Upvote 0
Are you there? :) I understand your frustration, I'm not a whiz kid teenager either... :p

Ok, sending a picture in a text. I am assuming you are using the stock apps.

I would like to suggest going to the playstore and downloading QuickPic. But for now will work with stock.

You take a pic, you find it in your gallery. you long press it and select to share using message. It converts it to sms, it says, I think, then you click on menu and send.

Are you trying to send more than one pic at a time? What kind of connection do you have when you are trying to send it?

If I try to send too much, like more than one pic, and I am just on my regular signal, sometimes it really takes a while. It does better when I am connected to wifi. Are you ever on wifi?

edit: which way did you go? :)

This is a safe place for you to explore and ask questions. It might take a little while, going back and forth, but we should be able to come up with something.

Upvote 0
Let's see... I don't know what stock apps are, the ones that came with it? I am using WiFi from my modem (Charter Cable) and router (Belken) The phone (Android) is showing up on the router and sending texts. My daughter (it's her ATT family plan and she has these kind of phones, smart ones) said it's set up to use WiFi, but if there's no WiFi it will use the ATT network. I didn't think of this, that maybe it wouldn't send with WiFi for some reason. The flip phone I had before sent and got pictures with no problem but it wasn't a windows type phone. (not sure if I'm supposed to call an Android a Windows phone or Smart phone, but I mean this style)
I click on Gallary, and now have 2 foldes one the camer and one PhotoEditor (the app I got to resize pictues, thinking they might be too big) I tap the file and it selects all of them (one has 9 and one has 2) but the first time I tried to send a picture I didn't have the photo editor, I took one picture and tried to sent it to test it. But I can't get it to select only 1 picture from one of the folder. I hold it down long and it still selcts them all. okay I got one to open by using the left-right arrows, have the picture open and send via. It says Bluetooth, email, gmail, messaging, wifi direct. I've only tried send via messaging. This time I'm trying set up WiFi direct and it says Wi-Fi Direct Android_cc51 available devices was scanning, now says no available devices for file share services. Guess that's getting off track. send via messaging...
said it was compressing picture, smaller, now sending...
she didn'tget it. I tried using the clip icon to attach picture that way and same thing, sending... she didn't get anything.
She send me pictues I get the box that says download, then downloading, then nothing.
I keep thinking this is some little thing, I just don't know. I didn't try changing anything till after I couldn't get or send pictures. I used to with my other phone and other people with this newer phones have used them here, with my WiFi. They set it to use the WiFi while they're here so as not to use their data or whatever on their ATT plan.
I haven't gone anywhere (away from my WiFi) yet to try using the phone or sending pictures from elsewhere. The phone works as a phone, I can call and get calls.

Upvote 0
Could the phone have something wrong with it, like be defective? I just assume it's something I didn't do.When I first got it my daughter came (to my house) and called ATT and got it activated or set up or whatever. She's done this before with her phones and others in the family. I think the phone she has now is a Focus and not the same as mine. I went through a trouble shooter on the ATT site but just gave the steps to send pictures, which I had been doing. It said if that didn't sold it to call ATT but they said it's my phone not set right. it's okay on their end.

Upvote 0
I am just kind of brainstorming here.

My phone has been customized, let me say. I have read where people have trouble sending texts over wifi. So perhaps you might try it with wifi on phone turned off? Or try it away from home and see if that helps?

What happens when you try to send a pic through email? Does it go then?

I wonder if everything 'took' when they set up your phone? I wonder if they could be bothered to try it again?

Can you browse the internet with your phone while at home on wifi? How about when you go out, can you then?

I am plenty puzzled too. :)

Reactions: jmar and Mikestony
Upvote 0
I agree with dustwun. When I first got my android phone (also with att) I could not download or send MMS over WiFi, and i had to turn it off to send and receive them. The reason being that MMS (picture messages) always send over the cell network, and sometimes the phone gets confused when WiFi is turned on. So if you wouldn't mind, I would try turning WiFi off, restarting your phone, and then trying to send one.

Also, I know it's been said before, but welcome to the forums! There are a lot of us here that either are really knowledgeable or pretend to be (i am the latter of the two :p) but I hope you enjoy your time here

Upvote 0
Allow me to (late obviously :p) give you my welcome to android forums :)

The advice given about turning off the wifi to see what happens when you send/receive the picture messages sounds like a winner seeing as how it does in fact can't send or receive while over a wifi network.

Report back and let us know if that worked for you or not :)

Upvote 0
I have a feeling it's some silly little thing.
I turned off the WiFi and it still didn't work (the pictures) but plain texts did (I think my daughter has gone to bed, so not getting feedback, just how it looks on my phone, sending... etc) I can go online, browse. In fact I think facebook stays on, somewhere. I have to stop and figure out where everything is and hot to get to it.
I sent a picture in an email to myself (my Outlook acct) and so far it didn't come in.
Now I have the WiFi on it says connected Belkin_G_Wireless_BF79C
Under it, there's attwifi says not in range
Comtrend5Ca9 not in range
J-Dixon not in range
It looks like the ATT service isn't connecting here? It has 2 bars on the icon. I had my other phone here that worked off ATT (and it wasn't the kind that used WiFi) and other people have used phones here, though they may have been using my router. Maybe I don't have a cell signal her, aside from the WiFi, or enough to send pictures in texts, and it doesn't work with the WiFi from the router?
I clicked on advanced on the connection page, it says Network notification notify me when att open network is available this is checked
Keep Wi Fi on during sleep ... always
Auto connect connect to ATT WiFi hotspots when detected this is checked.
Notify Att network automatically notifies about the att network when in range this is checked
I started sending them to myself my outlook email (via text) and the one with WiFi off and he one with WiFi on both came in (text) the ones with pictures attached didn't. The last test I tried (picure) a message came up saying "cannot send, to many unsent multimedia messages" Maybe it needs to be cleared out? I don't know how to delete messages. Is there a "sent" folder to show what sent? This is like another planet to me right now LOL
I haven't gone anywere else to try it (I live in a rural area and don't have a car) but tomorrow I can walk up the road.
I think I'm going to quit for tonight, I'm in eastern time zone (Vermont) and it's almost midnight. I get into trying to figure stuff out, and hate to give up.
I think it might help if my daughter comes here at some point tomorrow and calls ATT. I probably could, I have the sign in info (they need to talk to the acct owner) but since I don't know where much is on the phone, like how to get around in it, probably better if she does it.
I'll check in again tomorrow and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'm thinking (guessing I don't know) it's not working with picture with the WiFi for whatever reason, and there's not enough ATT signal to send? But enough for texts and phone calls. The first time I tried to senda picture (to test it) I was out in the yard, not right near the router and it didn't work. And, ones people send me aren't coming in, either (though maybe my signal is needed for that, too?)
I have a feeling I am gonna meet some nice people to talk to here, anyway :)

Upvote 0
Just reading the new posts (I left this on, adding to it as I tried something) and see turn off WiFi, and restart phone. I dind't do that. Isn't there a way to reset it by holding down the power key, or taking the battery out and putting it back in?
Let me turn off WiFi, turn off and on phone and try that. I also think I should clearthe messages, I think I saw something about that, clear texts, just have to find out where.
The directions that come with this, and ATT has on their website don't really tell much of anything about there things.

Upvote 0
Now I have the WiFi on it says connected Belkin_G_Wireless_BF79C
Under it, there's attwifi says not in range
Comtrend5Ca9 not in range
J-Dixon not in range
Those "not in range" wifi networks are generally places you have previously connected to. It remembers what you connected to in the past so it connect faster in the future.

Upvote 0
If your daughter is on ATT and she can send picture messages from home, then you should be able to send picture messages from home also.

While trying to diagnose the problem, you should keep your wifi off. Turning wifi on will only interfere with us helping you.

To poweroff/restart your phone, just hold the power button for a second.

With wifi off, are you able to view webpages with your phone?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums sunnydogday!

Super sorry to hear of your troubles. I've experienced this issue in the past, but on a Verizon Android Phone, so your problem isn't an isolated one.

One of the things I have done is a factory reset to try and clear up this issue. When that didn't work, I would go into my carrier and ask for a new SIM card. Furthermore, if I had to go into a carrier store to swap a SIM card, I wouldn't leave until my problem was resolved. This once prompted the carrier to replace my phone on the spot, because its means to troubleshooting the issue didn't work.

If you do a factory reset, be sure to backup everything you can. I use some apps that do this, but those require administrative access, which based on your situation, you most likely do not have. Maybe one of my friends here can recommend some backup solutions which suit your particular setup.

Hope this was as helpful as I've intended.

Again, welcome! I sure hope you stick around. We have a pretty uniquely amazing Android community here.

Yours,

jmar

Upvote 0
I turned off the WiFi and the phone off and on. It shows 2-3 bars on the phone signal, but wouldn't send pictures. I'd go on facebook, and it would show up but say "no WiFi detected" or something.
I'm thinking... once my daughter (who has had this type phone all along) got a new phone set up and it hardly worked, she called ATT and they did something and fixed it, they had configured the cell signal wrong. Different areas or something.
What is use packet data activate data network? in mobile network settings? This isn't checked but I read something last night, someone who couldn't send pictures was told to turn this on (then clear the settings so it would change to that) I tried it and it said it might cost more on the phone acct, but we have unlimited and data packages, etc. After I checked it and clicked whatever it said to clear data and restart it, I couldn't send texts at all, so I unchecked it again, and this morning texting was working again.
I really think ATT should do something to fix it, walk us through settings, or whatever, we pay enough for the phones.
When my daughter called them (from my landline) to set up my phone she ended up on their chat box (maybe they told her to, or hold was tool long or something) and the person gave her a hard time, said they didn't believe she was really HER. Though she knew the password and passcode and had gone in through her online account. I wasn't paying close attention but she was getting very stressed (she's pregnant and doesn't feel good) She was typing "I am ME, who do you think I am?" Unless they were picking up on the ip number from my computer and not hers, but she had signed in to her online account and had all the info. They also had her set up for 2 plans (together) now, for some reason and she was trying to fix that. I'm thinking now maybe the person she talked to, to set up my phone, didn't really know what they were doing.
This is why I encourage her to come call them about my phone and if they have her do something on it, she will have a better chance of finding it (on the phone). I go in circles a lot, but have figured out if I tap, push/pull, drag down, etc something new might come up LOL

Upvote 0
New messages have come in while I had this open writing, I'm going to start again tomorrow, but I'm guessing (going by all I have learned in a short time here, tonight) I'm not getting the right signal from my phone. It shows bars, and my previous phone (that didn't use WiFi that I know of) always worked and sent pictures (and would go on facebook and my email with the ATT signal, but was so small I didn't usually try) this phone isn't getting the right signal or isn't set up right to get the signal. ATT has always worked here (I had a tracfone at one time that ddn't, even though they kept telling me it should) It may be as simple as getting ATT to set it up different or change it. She called them today from her house (didn't have my phone here) and they said it was all set up on their end and my settings can't be right.
Now I know about turning off the WiFi to test, and pictuers not sending with that, that's good to know. I had no idea about something like that.
To me, it seems like I'm not getting the right signal or connection from ATT. Whether it's them setting it up wrong or my settings. They should do something to fix it.
Don't worry, even if they do, I still have a lot of other things to figure out :)

Upvote 0
See? I told you this was a friendly place. :)

Please let us know what you try next. There is a big question if the phone is set up right from the start.

I do think you should have data turned on, with unlimited data, that is already paid for.

You don't seem to be able to connect on data though, and apparently phones can't send pic texts over wifi unless you are on a custom rom like some of us are. You did say that you got a pic through with email though, I think.

I wonder if your phone has a big backlog of pics it is trying to send though? I am thinking that maybe when you were trying to select individual pics you might have gotten the whole folder. :)
I don't know how to clear it other than a factory reset because I don't know which individual app to stop and clear. That does wipe your data though so if you want to do that, we need to help you back up anything precious to you.

If possible, it would seem the idea to carry your phone in personally and make sure they see what is going on and not leave till you can see it work yourself is a good one. That can be a hassle, I know, waiting and stuff.

But, we are all glad to try to help, so when you get this straight and let us know, we will be ready for the next questions! :)

Have a good day!

Upvote 0
Thurs morning... my daughter is planning to come here sometime today and call ATT from my home (landline) with my phone in front of her. I can't go to a store and have them fix it, there isn't one near enoug to me (I think it might be 20 or so miles away) Radio Shack which is closer sets up phones, but maybe you have to buy the phone or SIM card from them.
I had sent an email to the other person on our family plan who also got a phone just like mine, he sent me a text and picture this morning, I didn't get, then called me to see if I got it. He said his works fine (he lives other side of the state in a bigger town, but I've always had ATT signal where I live, and others who come here do) I've tried a few differnt combinations, like data package ON and WiFi off, still doesn't work. I see it has 2-3 bars showing for service. When I get a picture in (with text) box says download, then downloading and little arrow on the WiFi icon pointing down blinks. Nothing happens (I now know I can't get pictures with texts this way)
I was looking in power savings (exploring) and it says a way to save data is to turn off packet data, but "you won't get MSS messages then". Mine was off, but now on.
I have been hitting the menu on bottom when texts are open and deleting all, not sure if that clears from the sent folder. Where is the SENT folder?
If I could see that and maybe delte the backlog it might help. Unless there isn't a specific sent folder because they show on the texts- ongoing.
Think the next step is wait to see what ATT says. If I felt more confident in finding things on the phone, I could probably call them or talk on chat.
I think I said somewhere, one time my daughter got a new phone and it hardly worked, she called ATT and they said it was set up the wrong way for the signal we get here, and changed it, and it worked.
The person with the same phone as mine said this morning he's worked fine (my daughter had set it up, so when he got the phone he called and they activated it) and he thinks I should return my phone and get another one. But, it might be what signal it's set to and that's not right.
one thing about having problems like this, I'm probably learning more and where things are and how to find them on the phone, while trying to fix it.
While we're waiting... another question, I put my micro mini card in (from my other phone) it's 4gb, but now what? My other phone was set so pictures saved on the card. I don't see anything about using the card.
Also, the photo editor app I put in, is there a place I can find instructions about how to use this? I see settings but nothing happens. I take a picture and it asks if I want to save it, I say yes, it asks for a folder name to save it in, but I don't have any. (on the computer you can click make new folder, or it asks you this)
Someone told me with Android phones everything has to be apps.
I was looking at apps I have in.... actually just found it again, via Task Manager. It is showing the photo editor and Zedge, which I think is where my ringtone came from. So I left those in.
I have RAM and clicked that says 517 of 772 mb status.I can clear memory. Clear inactive and background processes.
Completed and ongoing application functions will be removed from RAM. Clearing RAM will end some applications. Save data before... not going to do that, but now I know where it is.
Sounds like things can be saved on the micro memory card.
I did plug in the USB card one of the first days, and got it to show on my computer and saved pictures off it. (I have a camera and don't need the phone for pictures, but it should work even if I don't use it often)
I don't think the instructions that are with this phone (quick setup guide and ATT online, etc) are very complete. I guess the only real way to learn is to do it.
to sum up, no matter what I have set on it, or turned off (WiFi) only texts send and can't send or receive pictures. Waiting now to see if ATT can fix it, and they should. Even if they say it's my phone and settings off, they should walk us through fixing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones