1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Questions about custom ROMs. (first post =D woo!)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Poppa Grunt, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Poppa Grunt

Poppa Grunt Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Stryker
    VA
    Hey everyone. I'm thinking about running a custom ROM but I really REALLY don't want to brick my phone. I've read up a little (well for the past few hours haha) on these forums (as well as some others) and just want to clear some things up before I mess my phone up.

Im rooted with Unrevoked. I'm not sure which version (i.e 3.x), but I know its not unrevoked forever. I've seen mentions of having to install things for Radio, Wimax (4g i take it?), and a couple other things. I've also seen ROMs that don't support wireless tether.

Also, I am COMPLETELY lost when people start talking about: Bootstrap, ROM Manager. and Clockworkmod Recovery.

I've backed up my apps/contacts/txts with Titanium Backup.

So I'll tell you what I want, and hopefully everyone can help point me in the right direction =)

I just want a ROM that looks cool, runs smooth, and is fairly easy to install. Cyanogen (spelling?) has popped out at me a couple times, as well as Froyo. But i'm up for suggestions, as long as its stable. I also MUST have wireless tether. Its really the only thing I use my root for. If i cant port my txts/contacts....even apps I guess im ok with that. I can get them back. (gotta love FB lol)

Thanks guys
    And yay I'm glad to be a part of the forum!
    Hi everyone! :D

*specs*

Version- 2.2
    BB version- 2.15.00.11.19
    Kernel- 2.6.32.17-gee55fd
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
    Build num- 3.70.651.1 CL294884
    SW num- 3.70.651.1

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    From the numbers you posted, you are currently on the update prior to the one release Friday 6/3 which is what alot of roms are based on. There are a number based on leaked/port versions of 2.3(CyanogenMod 7 is one of them). Looking cool is dependent on what you like. I would start with reading the After Rooting sections in the Rooting for Dummies Guide: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html . It will give you the steps to take to flash different roms. My suggestion would be to avoid Rom Manager as it is known to have issues and learn to do everything manually.

Unrevoked 3.x flashes Unrevoked Forever so you don't need to worry about that.

There is a radio version newer than the one you are running but right now I would not be concerned about updating that just yet.

CM7 is what is called an AOSP rom and does not include the Google Apps(like Market, Talk, Voice, etc) so there is a separate file to flash for that. The simplest would be a sense rom like Mikfroyo, Fresh, Koni Elite, or Kings Unleashed.

I would start with reading the guide and looking into the thread here that deal with each Rom. Most have screen shots that give you an idea what they look like. Try them out and see what you think. Nandroid backup before making ANY changes to your phone so you can restore it if there are issues. Any questions, we are here to help and Welcome to the Forums!

Poppa Grunt likes this.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Welcome to the forums! :)

You're already rooted, which is a big first step. As far as the fear of bricking your phone, it's perfectly natural, and it's a fear that diminishes prorportionally with your knowledge and understanding of how rooting works.

I would recommend first reading the two guides in this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/347271-htc-evo-4g-rooting-essentials-here.html

That will give you a LOT of background information about rooted phones and all the terms you mentioned that you aren't familiar with.

I can guarantee you'll feel a lot more comfortable about flashing custom ROMs after you've read those. They are excellent guides.

Poppa Grunt likes this.
  4. Poppa Grunt

Poppa Grunt Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Stryker
    VA
    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback fellas.
    I'll definitely check them out.

Tags: