• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about estimated / maximum learned battery capacity

Zawusel

Lurker
Dec 6, 2022
First I would like to know what the exact difference is between "maximum learned battery capacity" and "estimated battery capacity" in the Android bug report.

Second thing which would be interesting is whether those stats are being resetted after a factory reset.

And: If I charge my phone always to 90% - does this invalidate the estimation?

The maximum learned battery capacity is a reference to the actual battery capacity of the battery inside your mobile device. It's a constant.
The estimated battery capacity is a variable, It depends on a correlation between the battery capacity, with the rate of discharging and time to recharge.
So if the estimated battery capacity of your battery is 95%, that's an indicator the battery is still in pretty overall health. A 5% loss isn't significant. All smartphone batteries age so it's inevitable that it will gradually decrease over time. You'll see your battery drains a little faster and takes a longer to recharge, hopefully it'll be several years before it becomes a problem.

Regarding if you charge your phone up to about 90%, that doesn't invalidate the estimation. It is a better practice to increase the battery's longevity, as opposed to charging it up to 100% all the time. So keep doing it (the common wisdom states 80% to be recommended max but whatever). So it doesn't invalidate the estimation, it does however indirectly affect it cumulatively over time. (Every battery has a set number of charge cycles -- if hypothetically your battery gets tapped for 33% every day, after three days or so that adds up one charge cycle.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones