• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about Evo

Yoketah

May 24, 2010
Hello, I'm new here to Phandroid, and have a few questions.
Ok, so I pre-orderd the Evo 4g. This is the first android phone I will have gotten, and actually my first phone that isn't prepaid. The phone I am using right now is the Sidekick Slide. The phone is dying on me, so I have to get a new phone, and android looks to be the best os out there.

My first question is what size of an sd card should I have. I think it comes with an 8GB. Is that enough? I see people choosing the 16GB over the 8GB. I don't listen to music too much, and would only have 100 to 300 songs on the phone at most. On my sidekick, I use a 2GB sd card, and I still have plenty of space. The apps sizes are about 70KB to 300KB. Would the Androids apps be much larger in size? If so, how much bigger. The final variable would be the video. At 720p, how much footage does 8GB give you? I would really like to know if its worth spending an extra 70 bucks to double the memory.

The second question, is about rooting. I know the htc Evo comes with the sense UI, so an update to froyo is going to be a while. Can you root a phone that has sense? And does the rom come out like a month before the carrier does an OTA update. If so, I wouldn't mind waiting just a month. But if you can root it in 2 months, and it doesn't get the OTA for 6, I would really consider it. Besides getting the latest version of the android OS, what other benifits does rooting give you? I know froyo is doing the things that rooting would have done like having apps on your sd card and tethering, but is there anything really substantial besides that?

Sorry for the wall of text and all the questions :p
And feel free to just yell "look it up your self" As thats probably what I should be doing lol.

Hello, I'm new here to Phandroid, and have a few questions.
Ok, so I pre-orderd the Evo 4g. This is the first android phone I will have gotten, and actually my first phone that isn't prepaid. The phone I am using right now is the Sidekick Slide. The phone is dying on me, so I have to get a new phone, and android looks to be the best os out there.

My first question is what size of an sd card should I have. I think it comes with an 8GB. Is that enough? I see people choosing the 16GB over the 8GB. I don't listen to music too much, and would only have 100 to 300 songs on the phone at most. On my sidekick, I use a 2GB sd card, and I still have plenty of space. The apps sizes are about 70KB to 300KB. Would the Androids apps be much larger in size? If so, how much bigger. The final variable would be the video. At 720p, how much footage does 8GB give you? I would really like to know if its worth spending an extra 70 bucks to double the memory.

The second question, is about rooting. I know the htc Evo comes with the sense UI, so an update to froyo is going to be a while. Can you root a phone that has sense? And does the rom come out like a month before the carrier does an OTA update. If so, I wouldn't mind waiting just a month. But if you can root it in 2 months, and it doesn't get the OTA for 6, I would really consider it. Besides getting the latest version of the android OS, what other benifits does rooting give you? I know froyo is doing the things that rooting would have done like having apps on your sd card and tethering, but is there anything really substantial besides that?

Sorry for the wall of text and all the questions :p
And feel free to just yell "look it up your self" As thats probably what I should be doing lol.

For you, I'd suggest stick with the 8gb card. Doesn't seem like you need more. Android apps don't take up that much space.

Possible reasons for rooting include: overclocking the processor, having full access to all files on your phone (not just sdcard), custom ROMs and themes, custom boot animations. Phones with sense ui can be rooted. Search the Market for "root" and see all the apps that need root.

Reactions: Yoketah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones