• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about G1 updates/firmware.

xShorty12

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
So im new to this G1 i have no clue if its up to date. The firmware version is 1.6 does this mean its updated or is their a newer version? please send me a link to the new version thanks in advance. If their is any other info you need about the phone feel free to ask.

Welcome to the Android forums from me also!
Android 1.6 is the latest official release. It's possible to update it to newer version try for example CyanogenMod (up to Android 2.2, CyanogenMod has Android 2.3.4 now, but the newest version is not for Dream, it's too old device), I've used Android 2.2 CyanogenMod 6 on my T-Mobile G1 with no issues.
You need to downgrade the system before doing this update, root it, install compatible radio, install custom recovery and then CyanogenMod, but it's well described on wiki on following link. If you follow it, is't safe, the only disadvantage is losing of warranty. T-Mobile G1 also doesn't have much memory, so he best will be to install Swapper from Market then and use part of sd-card as swap-memory.

HTC Dream - CyanogenMod Wiki

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones