• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about Gmail vs Backup Assistant??? Does it even matter?

Chipitolay

Mar 12, 2010
A couple quick things....

While I have most of my contacts synced from gmail, I noticed the phone separates phone contacts from gmail contacts...by phone contacts I mean contacts stored in the phone that aren't in gmail. I've looked all over and I can't figure out how to change a phone contact to a gmail contact without deleting and creating it over again??

Second...Verizon's Backup Assistant seems to only sync to actual "phone" contacts and not gmail contacts.....is there any way to sync all contacts to both? I am wondering just in case one day I lose my Incredible and have to use a dumbphone for a while, I'd still have my contacts via BackAss lol.

Third...and last...Does anyone know if gmail contacts are actually stored on the phone itself or does it query the server each time you open contacts? Would there be any advantage to having my contacts be "phone" contacts instead of gmail contacts? How often do contacts sync with the google server?

Thanks!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones