• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about Google Voice App

joshm662

Dec 30, 2011
I was under the impression you could use the GV app as a way to make calls without actually using your talk minutes, is this true? My g/f claims she knows people that are always using GV to make and receive phone calls without actually burning up any of their talk time minutes with their LG Optimus V smartphones on the Virgin Mobile plans. Is she out of her mind or is this really something that is possible? It seems like it can't be true and I've told her this, but if you could please help put this issue to rest, I would greatly appreciate it... thank you!

Well google voice is very young in the voice communication market. Until now, it has not been able to compete with the skype, axvoice, vonage and other popular voice apps (they all use VoIP technology to communicate voice). They offer better services and features. Until now, google's app has not been able to threat any of these big guns in the market. More than 95% of the market is still occupied by these old players.

Upvote 0
Google Voice as it exists as a mobile app is not a typical voice of IP app. It doesn't allow you, by itself, to make phone calls strictly through your data connection. It is more like a phone router service.

I don't know anything about GrooVe IP in particular, but I do know people have found ways to make Google Voice work for free minutes. It doesn't do so by itself, though.

From your home, though, you can make free calls straight from your Gmail account using Google Voice.

Upvote 0
So, essentially I could download this GrooVe IP app in the Android Market and use it on my phone with the GV app to somehow make phones calls through my unlimited data plan and not lose any of my talk time minutes? Is this really possible? Her and I just want to be able to call each others cell phones without burning up all of our minutes. We use the Virgin Mobile no contract plan so you don't get a lot of mins, but you do get unlimited data.

Let me know anything you guys know that could help! Thanks a lot!

PS... any FREE VoIP apps?

Upvote 0
So, essentially I could download this GrooVe IP app in the Android Market and use it on my phone with the GV app to somehow make phones calls through my unlimited data plan and not lose any of my talk time minutes? Is this really possible?

That is correct, you can use data and not voice minutes using GrooVe IP + the GV app.

PS... any FREE VoIP apps?

Not that I know of.

Upvote 0
That is correct, you can use data and not voice minutes using GrooVe IP + the GV app.

It looks like GrooVe IP may be worth the couple dollars then, if that is the case. I'll probably download it today, is it really simple to use and set up? I already have Google Voice on my phone and at this current time it seems to serve no purpose, but once I download the VOIP above, do I just open that program instead of Google Voice and it just makes phone calls or is there a lot of setup and changing of settings to do? Please let me know, I'm really excited for this to work.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
i thought i could use the account on my phone to buy apps but apparently i need to enter my credit card information on the phone to do so? that stinks because i put $10 on my Virgin Mobile account thinking it would deduct from that amount to buy the app. Well, i guess that money will just be there for next months payment or something. if i can't the money on my virgin mobile account for apps, what can i use it for? lol

Upvote 0
im having trouble logging in... it asks my Google Voice username and password and i keep entering in my Google account information how it has always been, my google email address and the password ive always used.. i mean, on the computer i am in Google Voice no problem.. i thought google voice automatically hooked up with my google account that i had already... i never created an entirely new google account for google voice.. it just hooked up to my google account that ive been using for years... so why cant i log in to the Google Voice in my phone with this GrooVe IP app?

BTW... when i click "create account" it instantly transfers me to my Google Voice account that is up and running and shows my number and everything... so why cant i sign in still in this GrooVe program?

Upvote 0
im having trouble logging in... it asks my Google Voice username and password and i keep entering in my Google account information how it has always been, my google email address and the password ive always used.. i mean, on the computer i am in Google Voice no problem.. i thought google voice automatically hooked up with my google account that i had already... i never created an entirely new google account for google voice.. it just hooked up to my google account that ive been using for years... so why cant i log in to the Google Voice in my phone with this GrooVe IP app?

BTW... when i click "create account" it instantly transfers me to my Google Voice account that is up and running and shows my number and everything... so why cant i sign in still in this GrooVe program?

Are you still having problems with the app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones