• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about GSM unlock codes?

I'm just few clicks away from buying the Moto Atrix for $599 from amazon.com and having it shipped to me outside the United States.
I found unlocked Atrix phones being sold for $800+ on ebay. But of course I'd rather try buying the unlock code myself from websites that offer this service as several users at the xda developers forums are reporting success with it. It should cost only $10-$30.

Now my questions are..

1.Once the unlock code is entered with success, Does that make the phone unlocked forever? Or I need to keep the key and re-enter in cases such as formatting the storage drive or factory reset..etc?

2.Should there be any difference between an AT&T Atrix unlocked using a code and the Atrix to come later as the international version (Manufacturer unlocked)?

Thank you

1.Once the unlock code is entered with success, Does that make the phone unlocked forever? Or I need to keep the key and re-enter in cases such as formatting the storage drive or factory reset..etc?

2.Should there be any difference between an AT&T Atrix unlocked using a code and the Atrix to come later as the international version (Manufacturer unlocked)?

Thank you

1. Yes that will unlock the handset forever
2. Only the carrier specific bloatware (which any case you might not need)
by the way there is a discussion going on in xda forum about unlock code provider and you can get that for under $10 from number of provider

Upvote 0
1. Yes that will unlock the handset forever
2. Only the carrier specific bloatware (which any case you might not need)
by the way there is a discussion going on in xda forum about unlock code provider and you can get that for under $10 from number of provider

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I went ahead and bought the atrix from amazon.com.

I hope someone here can enlighten me/us how the code can work on the hardware (permanent) level. This code unlocks something in the phone's bios?

**Having had delt with unlocking GSM on iphones all these years, I just can't imagine how easy it sounds in comparison! :)

Upvote 0
Once you receive it and unlock it, please post here to let us know who you used for the unlocking. Being able to unlock this phone ASAP is key for me as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I went ahead and bought the atrix from amazon.com.

I hope someone here can enlighten me/us how the code can work on the hardware (permanent) level. This code unlocks something in the phone's bios?

**Having had delt with unlocking GSM on iphones all these years, I just can't imagine how easy it sounds in comparison! :)

Upvote 0
You will have full capability on any network that has the bands 3G/4G bands used by this phone. Tmobile uses a different 3G/4G band, so you will not get 3G/4G on tmobile.

once unlocked will it have full 4g capability on networks such as t-mobile? Will there be any usability in features that are taken away?

Reactions: idroidberry
Upvote 0
I'm also interested in hearing back. Just ordered one from the states (I'm in canada).
Papabri, can you tell me what's the final cost with international shipping, tariff and taxes? Also what province you're from. I want the Atrix but holding out for the Bell version, but if the Amazon final cost isn't too bad, might just do that.

Upvote 0

**Having had dealt with unlocking GSM on iphones all these years, I just can't imagine how easy it sounds in comparison! :)

Sorry to bump this thread. I still don't understand how the unlocking work (getting a code based on the EMEI?). I know I was answered here that it's a one-time use unlock code but I'm just curious how would the phone still be unlocked if it got completely reformatted and restored to factory settings?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Once you receive it and unlock it, please post here to let us know who you used for the unlocking. Being able to unlock this phone ASAP is key for me as well.

Hey,
Just received my unlock code from cellunlock.net.
It's a short (8 digits) code and it worked right away. I'm about to unleash this beast by carrying it with me to work and show it to my co-workers who think there's nothing that come near iphones! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this thread. I still don't understand how the unlocking work (getting a code based on the EMEI?). I know I was answered here that it's a one-time use unlock code but I'm just curious how would the phone still be unlocked if it got completely reformatted and restored to factory settings?

Thank you

All GSM phones have this capability (iPhones too but Apple prohibits AT&T from giving codes). The way it works is that the locked/unlocked flag is stored in non-volatile memory, just as the IMEI, MAC address for WIFI, etc. It will not revert to locked, even after you reflash the phone; think about it, otherwise other stuff, like the IMEI would also be lost if the reflashing completely erased the phone.

Reactions: CyberPunk7t9
Upvote 0
All GSM phones have this capability (iPhones too but Apple prohibits AT&T from giving codes). The way it works is that the locked/unlocked flag is stored in non-volatile memory, just as the IMEI, MAC address for WIFI, etc. It will not revert to locked, even after you reflash the phone; think about it, otherwise other stuff, like the IMEI would also be lost if the reflashing completely erased the phone.

I see. That's was the kind of answer I was looking for.
I know phones have some kind of bios where the EMEI and other things are stored. But my curiosity was about how the code would be "written" there.

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones