1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

questions about installing siyahkernel 3.x

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by james_uk, May 7, 2012.

1. james_uk

james_uk Android Enthusiast
    None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    sorry for the noob question, i have recently put the andyx v12 rom on my s2, and now i am looking into updating the kernel for the first time.

im really interested in this siyah kernel but i am not sure if i am wanting it for the right reason as i dont know a great deal about it, from what i have read its great for overclocking / underclocking, not sure if im interested in the dual boot right now.

aside from that i dont think i want to over / under clock anyway so would i see much improvement is using this kernel, does it bring further performance gains anyway, smoother scrolling etc.. better battery life..

does the kernel use stock voltage / cpu settings as default so im not installing it and automatically overclocking my s2?

i have downloaded gs2 wiper which i am lef to believe is good to use before installing the kernel, is that a much or do most not bother?

so what do people see as an improvement in there day to day use of their phone that they would say makes it worth using this kernel?

i noticed on the site where siyah is hosted that this version is currently in beta and a new version has been coming out every other day, being new to this would i be best waiting till the final release is out or is it very simple to just install new versions as they come out anyway, if i was going to i think i would just use cmw anyway, so it sounds very easy.

last question if i do update to siyah will i be able to update to the next version of andyx rom without any issues and just the same as usual?

anyway sorry for asking such basic questions about it, its just things id like to know before i update to it.

james

Advertisement

2. iT0mm0

iT0mm0 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Coventry
    ok

no need for a wiper on ICS, wipe cache and dalvik then install your kernel of choice

( i swap kernels more than i change my underwear :) )

the only thing i like about siyah is the dual boot, battery life is dismal to say the least.

abyss kernel is quite possibly the best atm

james_uk likes this.
  3. james_uk

None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    is the siyah kernel got worse battery life than the stock kernel then or is it all depending on whether you have the cpu etc set to overcloking as or default?

4. iT0mm0

None

Jan 4, 2012
    Coventry
    siyah kernel has waaaayyyyyy better battery life than stock kernel, its down to the fact there are better battery saving kernels out there, they just need looking for

james_uk likes this.
  5. james_uk

None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    i have just installed siyah and all seemed to have gone well, it says in the about that its the siyah kernal, i do get the feeling it does feel more responsive already, i didnt realise at first you have to install other apps to use the functions as everything seems the same otherwise just smoother.

i will install extweaks and look at maybe just running it as default profile and see how it goes.

is it advisable to disable android logging? i seen a topic on it but wasn't sure if it makes the phone faster or can it cause any issues?

6. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK
    Stock is appalling. Siyahs ICS kernal is the best ever and the performance on my phone has quadrupled since pairing it with AndyX ROM 12. Do it.

james_uk likes this.
  7. james_uk

None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    lol thank you guys for the help, as above i have installed it and all seems smoother, ive just installed extweaks and bought the paid version to, im thinking im wanting to use the default profile although is performance a lot better and am i overclocking the phone a lot by doing so?
    im guessing im overcloicking is a bit on default as the cpu goes up to 1500 it says and i know mine is 1200.

does it only use 1500 if really needed or does it use it regularly to gie much better performance

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    It's mildly under-volted by default and has been optimised towards being battery-friendly, so the answer is "probably". :)

Voltages are slightly reduced but only to a degree that is proven to work for all devices. The default max clock speed is 1200MHz so no overclock.

It's definitely a good idea.

Updates are simply flashed over the top of the existing kernel. I've only just updated to the latest b8 myself but so far it's working fine with the settings I've been using since v3.1.

Yup, although you may need to reflash the kernel afterwards if AndyX includes a different one by default.

Questions are only "basic" if you know the answer, so don't worry about that. We're all happy to help.

lunatic59 and james_uk like this.
  9. iT0mm0

None

Jan 4, 2012
    Coventry
    dont purchase extweaks just use the free version, you can swap profiles in CWM.

ive got android loging disabled as i read somewhere it uses more battery.

and yes siyah is more responsive than the stock kernel, hopefully soon itll be as smooth as GB

10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Wiping cache and dalvik-cache is pointless as the kernel uses neither. ;)

The b8 default may be 1500MHz now with the new 18-step freq_table; I haven't investigated this yet. The "5-step" is the Samsung default i.e. 200, 500, 800, 1000, 1200 so installing the free version of Voltage Control and set the min:max freqs to 200:1200 will give you stock clocks.

james_uk likes this.
  11. james_uk

None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    thanks a lot for everyones input, it made me feel a lot more safer in what i was doing (even though it turned out not to be so bad anyway)
    i did buy extweaks, i had already done that a little before iT0mm0 posted saying dont, oh well its only about

12. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Jun 24, 2011
    Security
    Southampton UK
    I dont think ive ever used higher than 5. Seen as thats Sammys default. Siyah allows up to 1400 though I believe many allow up to 1600. I see little difference between these two frequency however. Unless you deploy the Performance gov and watch the benchmark scores fly :D

I stick to 500-1400. I like my performance as power is never an issue always being next to a plug. :p

james_uk likes this.
  13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Glad to hear you had success. I worry more about other peoples' handsets (when I've tried to offer advice) than my own, so I'm relieved. :)

Nope, it's 'cos I'm a lazy git and haven't yet bothered to reset my previous config and check it out. :p

14. james_uk

None

May 27, 2010
    Male
    Liverpool, uk
    well RC1 is out, will install it soon.

another question if i may: :)

do many people just install the siyah kernel without all the apps like extweaks etc do people generaly find siyah on its own is a good improvement over the stock kernel without tinkering with the cpu settings etc?

would be interested to know if people see it as a waste of time installing siyah if you aren't going to use the likes of extweaks afterwards?

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, as even the default Siyah settings will offer some improvements over stock. The whole point of a custom kernel is to do things the stock kernel can't though, so I'd guess that most people will make some adjustments.

james_uk likes this.
  16. Calvo1

Calvo1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Liverpool, UK
    Nice thread gents, could I possibly jump in and ask if Juice Defender is worth while whilst using a Siyah Kernel? Simply for disabling data whilst the kernel lowers the CPU?

17. advr

advr Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2012
    which version of the kernel did you install?:)

18. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums advr! :)

It depends which firmware you are on... Gingerbread or ICS... and you have to be rooted.

19. naith_kk

naith_kk Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    The developer did note that there is a chance that JD might incur some battery drain, but it all depends on your phone's configuration... and he never discouraged its use, so you can use JD if you wanted to.