• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help questions about newest update

kylie1313

Lurker
Dec 20, 2011
Two days ago a message popped up on my phone saying theres an AT&T update for my phone. Well i downloaded it and now when im scrolling up or down and sideways whenever i get to the end of the page a blue transparent thing shows up which ever way im scrolling. Also when i receive a missed call i get a text message.from a strange set of numbers with a message of the.number who just called me. Whats the purpose of these updates i dont understand them? And what other things that i havent noticed yet got changed with this update?

hi.

the blue hue when reaching the end or side of a page, be it in settings or on the web is just to let you know you are at the end of the screen's "frame". i think it is helpful and cool, but not a life or death feature.

i have never received a text for a missed call, nor do io know what that feature is.

the camera has been upgraded with easier access to settings and a new user interface. i also noticed the keyboard i use, the samsung keyboard, is larger and easier to use.

other than that, i do not know of any other changes. i have read the most recent update fixed some bugs we may or may not have noticed, and supposedly the battery life was improved, but i have not noticed longer battery life.

the following, belwo, is from samsung's official sgs2 page regarding gingerbread, published 7/12/2011. although we are now on version 2.3.6, every carrier, which are not under the control of samsung nor google's android platform, roll out their software updates when they are ready to and/or feel like it, giving the new phones the newest software first. also, some features may or may not be offered by a specific carrier, depending on that carrier's decision, not under samsung's nor google's (android) control:

link to samsung sgs2 page: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I777ZKAATT

link to samsung's currently posted "generic" gingerbread description, not the carrier's actual implementation, as of today, 12/30/2011: All About Android 2.3 | Samsung Articles & Insights

All About Android 2.3

• Published: July 12, 2011
Android™ 2.3 (a.k.a. Gingerbread) is Google’s most consumer-friendly smartphone platform to date. Here’s everything you need to know about this powerful, mobile platform and how it makes you and your Android phone a more productive team.

Android is the platform of choice for a plethora of smartphones and millions of users. With thousands of apps available from games to productivity aids, Gingerbread turns a phone into a powerful web browser, game console and personal assistant.
Here’s a taste of Gingerbread’s most mouthwatering features:

Improved User Interface
The Android 2.3 interface is easier for novices to learn and faster overall. Text input is more intuitive than ever. The redesigned virtual keyboard allows for faster, more accurate typing, with improved automatic correction of mistakes. For example, you can tap any word to get a suggested correction, not just the word you’re typing. Copy and paste take only a single touch, making it easier to edit text or copy it to other windows or applications.

Simpler Video Chat
Android 2.3 lets you take advantage of devices that include both front- and rear-facing cameras, making it easier to videoconference or take a self-portrait. With the 2.3.4 update, you can use Google Talk with the Video Chat option.

Easier Internet Phone Calls
You don’t need an app to make a VOIP, or Voice Over Internet, call. If your contacts have an Internet calling (or SIP) account, you can add that number to your address book and call them directly from the Android phone dialer.

Convenient Access to Useful Information (i don't think at&t has added nfc yet)
A new NFC app—that’s for Near Field Communication—lets your phone receive electronic information from "smart" tags embedded in posters, stickers, advertisements and the like. Just swipe the phone over, say, an NFC-enhanced event program, and your phone might take you to a special Web site where you can rate the event or buy related merchandise.

More Control Over Apps
In much the same way you monitor applications for power consumption, you can see how much storage and memory each app is using. The new Downloads application gives the user easy access to files downloaded using the browser, email or another application.

Enhanced Apps
Many of the most popular preinstalled apps have been upgraded to take full advantage of Android 2.3, including:

Google Maps: You can use Google Maps to point out your current location, search for businesses and addresses, and get directions to wherever you need to go. If you just want to explore the world around you while on the go use Google Maps with Street View.

Gmail: View your inbox and conversations side by side, so you can triage your email while you read. Drop a few Gmail widgets onto your home screen to stay on top of all of your accounts. You can even drag and drop conversations into folders from your inbox.

YouTube: The mobile app provides a fast and simple way to search, browse and watch YouTube videos on your mobile device. You can also upload the video you’ve just recorded and instantly broadcast it to the whole world.

Google Talk: Never miss a ping again with Google Talk on your Android device. Swap between multiple chats at a time, search your chat history, see previews of videos and images within conversations or video chat.

Google Search: Search for anything, anywhere. Google Search on Android devices brings all of the computing power and innovation of desktop search to mobile and customizes the experience with several features uniquely relevant to mobile.

Google Voice: Enhance the existing capabilities of your phone, regardless of which phone or which carrier you have—for free. With the Google Voice app you can make calls and send text messages from your Google Voice number and listen to voicemail or read it with text transcriptions.

Android Market: The new widget lets you keep on top of what’s hot on Android Market, showing featured apps right on your home screen.

Better Battery Life
The features that make today’s smartphones such a pleaure to use are hard on battery life. Android 2.3 helps keep you going longer by automatically closing energy-gobbling applications that run unused in the background and turning off services you don’t need. The platform also gives you smarter ways to monitor power consumption, so you can manually shut down applications that are using more than their fair share.

Upvote 0
Battery life was definitely not improved in the update to 2.3.6, too many people complaining about battery life now.

My wife's has been horrible since the update. She doesn't use her phone a lot but after unplugging today at 9, it was almost dead around 3 or 4. Before the update it would last from around 7 to the time she would charge it before bed or even until the next day. Like I said she isn't a power user, hopefully another update will be out soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones