1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Questions about Swapping Phones and SD Cards

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dpaultx, Jul 14, 2011.

1. dpaultx

dpaultx Member
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Male
    North Central Texas
    Hi all . . . first post here, and all that, and I already have a small question.

Okay, so I've been with VM since last December, using the Samsung Intercept and have been fairly pleased with the service and all. The Intercept is a bit "buggy" but once you figure out its little idiosyncrasies it performs reasonably well. As long as you do a "battery pull" once a day.

Anyway, I picked up a slightly used Optimus V the other day and although I've not activated it yet, been messing around with it on WIFI, I can already tell that I'm going to like it a lot better than the Intercept.

The question is, can I just pull the existing SD card (an 8GB Class 4 card) out of my Intercept, plug it into the OptimusV, and just start using all of the apps, pictures, files, etc. that are stored on it?

Or do I have to go to the Market and download all of those apps again?

Advertisement

2. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    you would have to install the apps from the market again...

what you can do with that SD card is go through your apps and use whatever backup features exist within each app then when you move the SD card over you can import/restore those backups into the apps once installed

also all pictures/videos/ebooks/other files will obviously be ready to go on your new phone

dpaultx likes this.
  3. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    If you are rooted you can use titanium backup.

4. dpaultx

dpaultx Member
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Male
    North Central Texas
    Thanks guys . . . I ended up just buying another 8GBSD card and downloading all of the Market apps. This is the first times I've had to change phones, at least change Android phones, and I was a little unsure of the process.

Reloading everthing from the Market, over WIFI, was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Copied all my pictures, books, SMS backup, etc. from the old phone to the PC over USB then copied them from PC to new phone. Pretty straight forward.

Optimus V seems to be a vast improvement over the Intercept.

Thanks again.

Tags: