1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Questions about the camera cover

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by arkazain, Feb 17, 2011.

1. arkazain

arkazain Well-Known Member

I asked in the camera cover thread, but it's pretty much dead, so I'll ask here instead.
    Basically, the camera cover on my phone is in really bad condition and is making my photos look like crap, so I was thinking of removing it, but there are somethings I want to know first:

1. If dust gets in through the hole, can it potentially damage anything, say, the battery?

2. Will the removal lower it's value, i.e. if I were to sell it, would the price have to be lower or something?

Advertisement

2. Rafalema

Rafalema Member

1. There's a small chance that it'd damage your battery.

2. I believe so.

arkazain likes this.
  3. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Took mine off over 6 months ago and never had a problem with it.

arkazain likes this.
  4. arkazain

On the first question, if I just dust it off every once in a while, there shouldn't be any problem right?

5. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

None.

My Blackberry Bold 9000 had no camera cover and never had a scratch on it after 3 years, don't see why the Desire would.

You can always put a bit of screen protector on it if you like.

arkazain likes this.
  6. matttye

matttye Android Expert

Removed mine about 6 months ago too and no problems whatsoever... photos are still really clear :D

I would say it depends who you're selling the phone to. If you put a bit of screen protector over it then people might still pay more for it, just make sure you announce that you've removed it.

arkazain likes this.
  7. arkazain

Would I have to cut out a piece of protector or is there any brand that has a piece for the camera included?
    And if I were to do this, only on the outside, or should I put one on the inside too?

8. matttye

matttye Android Expert

I bought the generic brand from carphone warehouse and stuck it directly on the lens itself. It's about

9. arkazain

Would there be any point in putting a cover on the lens itself?
    I'm pretty sure it's already covered by something.

10. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

Personally I wouldn't remove the lens cover.
    I had a scratched cover on my Desire and I polished it with liquid metal polish on the end of a cotton bud, that worked really well. I also bought a cheap gel case via ebay and the extra bit of thickness from the case, has meant that the lens cover is less likely to come in contact with desktop surfaces etc, less scratches.

11. Bomberman

Bomberman Android Enthusiast

It's not so much the scratches, it's the fact that it's cheap plastic and essentially 'wastes' the camera on the Desire - even brand new.
    That said, I have to confess I haven't popped the cover out of mine yet... OP, if you go through that thread you'll find links to nice replacement glass.

12. arkazain

I've seen the Edmund Optics one, but the shipping fee looks far too expensive for me.

13. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I popped mine out. I was initially going to replace it with glass but I never got round to parting with the money. It wasnt cheap.

had no problems with anything since doing it, but couldnt really recommend it.

arkazain likes this.
  14. arkazain

Why not?

15. SUroot

Think of it as a disclaimer

arkazain likes this.
  16. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Too late!!

My lawyers are on you now!

:D

17. arkazain

Okay, thanks for your advice guys, I might just pop it out later.

18. SUroot

I snubbed them.

19. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

I'm telling your mom!!

20. arkazain

By the way, if I do put a screen protector on the hole, won't it sort of attract dust from the inside? I mean, since the screen protector is adhesive?

21. jimbob35

jimbob35 Newbie

Nonononononono!

Don't remove it, buy a

arkazain likes this.
  22. curl1

curl1 Lurker

Popped mine the day I bought it to get clearer pics. Haven't had a problem in nine months.

arkazain likes this.
  23. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

The cover's stayed on mine since I got it in September but when I put the camera down I always put it on something soft that isn't likely to scratch the lens. Those napkins you get in coffee bars are ideal for that job.

24. Nozspark

Nozspark Member

I've replaced mine with the Sapphire Glass from Edmund optics.. cost

25. captkangaroo

captkangaroo Lurker

Try the polish stuff and if it is not good then pop the thing out and never look back. If my bit of plastic was scratched up and made the photos look like crap I would pop it in a New York second.

Tags: