1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Questions About the Eris

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Airman1947, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Airman1947

Airman1947 Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    Whaddup guys? Ok so I recently rooted my first phone...my LG Ally that I have, and I've also managed to install a custom ROM and have managed to overclock it. I love it, but now my brother wants me to root his HTC Droid Eris, and I'm trying to do some information gathering on the phone before I do it...

First, I saw on the sticky thread here that there is a one-click root program for the Eris running Android version 2.1. I don't see my brother everyday, so I haven't gotten a look at his phone yet, but from what I've gathered, 2.1 is the latest Android version available for a stock Eris, and it would be safe to assume that it's what my brother has. Is that correct?

Second, I see that there is a custom ROM for the Eris called GSB v3.0 that I think my bro would like. But the description says that it is for Android 2.3.3, and a cyanogen mod would be needed to upgrade the phone to that version. I'm just wondering, does flashing that ROM automatically update the OS to that version? Or do u have to do some sort of update before you install GSB?

Also, was just wondering is GSB allows you to overclock the phone.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Still kinda new to this stuff. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

Advertisement

2. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    1. Yes, he most likely has 2.1. There is also an off-chance that he has 1.5, but that is probably pretty unlikely unless he decided to never upgrade. No worries if he did though. Its pretty easy to manually upgrade.

2. The ROM for GSB is entirely self-contained. So once you root, you can put the .ZIP file for the ROM on the SD card, flash it and jump straight to 2.3/Gingerbread (don't forget to wipe the data and Dalvik cache in the recovery menu BEFORE you flash Google Apps ["gapps"]!).

3. And pretty much all ROMs support overclocking, so YES!

Airman1947 likes this.
  3. Airman1947

Airman1947 Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    EXCELLENT! You are awesome! :D thanks so much for the info. That really helps a lot. Ok I just have one more thing to clear up. How should I go about flashing the custom ROM? On my Ally i used the Recovery Mod that came with ROM Manager. However from what i've gathered, ROM manager doesnt work well with the Eris.

In the One Click Root sticky, it says that the ErisOne program will boot the phone into a recovery mode, and that u can flash the RootMe zip file, or ur desired custom ROM. I'm guessing i dont have to flash the rootme file and can just flash GSB instead? And will this program allow me to clear the memory and chaches and whatnot, and flash google apps before i reboot? And will it also give the opportunity to backup before i make these changes?

And if i cant do all this, and have to flash the RootMe file first before flashing GSB, how should i go about flashing GSB? Is there another recovery program i should use? Again, thanks a ton.

4. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    This is a very popualar method of rooting the eris. [​IMG] Universal Eris Root for Dummies! ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Airman1947 likes this.
  5. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    It's complicated but the simple answer is that Amon_RA is better suited to the Eris.

That's correct. GSB also requires a flash of a separate Google apps package. But rootme.zip is only required if you want to stay stock and have root access.

Just note that 1-click requires that you run the app and restart the phone as if you wanted to make a phone call. It is during the restart that Amon_RA is installed as a replacement recovery image. When the phone comes back up, you can shut down the phone and restart while holding down VolUp to start in Recovery. It's close enough to Clockwork that you'll be fine, if you've ever used Clockwork on the Ally.

Yes, there are wipe factory/data reset and wipe Dalvik settings in the Wipe menu in Amon_RA (as well as wipe battery stats and wipe sensor), and there is a full Backup/Restore menu, with the preferred Nandroid backup and restore. You can flash multiple zips before a reboot, yes.

Airman1947 likes this.
  6. Airman1947

Airman1947 Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    You guys ROCK!!! :D Thanks so much for all that input. It really helps. Glad to hear that Amon_RA is like Clockwork cuz I'm very familiar with it. So, I'm guessing u navigate thru Amon_RA with the trackball.

By the way, this is kinda more of a specific question, but does anyone know if flashing GSB v3.0 implements an App2sd feature since it's Android 2.3.3? Or do u still gotta partition the SD card to do this? Oh and...is GSB faster than the stock ROM? Lol probly a dumb question. Just wondering.

7. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    once you have it rooted and working,scary aliens trackball optional recovery is an absolute must have for a rooted eris. they are know for trackball issues,and it could be potentialy very fustrating to boot into recovery with a non working phone and not have a tracball to navigate and fix it!

the trackball optional recovery is great insurance,IMO :cool:

8. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010

There is no need to partition the SD card for apps2sd - it supports the native apps2sd in Gingerbread. I believe that you have to enable app moving in settings->CyanogenMod settings->applications or something.

Also check out Condemned CM7 here. I've been running it since yesterday and find it has fewer issues than GSB, at least for me.

[ROM] 4/25/11 Condemned CM7.0.2 V5 2.3.3 & GRE in post 2 - xda-developers

By the way, you can install ROM Manager in any rooted ROM that you install on the Eris and run Clockwork from there. GSB includes ROM Manager by default. ROM Manager does this clever thing of installing a flashable zip stub called update.zip that it autoruns from Amon_RA when you go to recovery from within ROM Manager and it will be full Clockwork - it works just fine. I still think it's better to have Amon_RA as the default recovery on the Eris, though.

9. kgraven

kgraven Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    Tried rooting a stock 2.1 Eris using the one click method. I can get to the recovery boot screen and flashed rootme.zip but when I rebooted the phone just stayed at the original HTC android boot image. Tried multiple times but couldn't get it to go further. I eventually flashed a downloaded 2.1 factory image and that worked fine. I just had to reload all apps etc. Is this a known problem? I'd still like to get root access. Once rooted I can then use Titanium to back things up so I don't have to go and reload everything from scratch I assume.

I had tried to install a 2.2 image first but when that booted I could not get past the phone activation screen. The keyboard would not come up and I needed to 'press 1' to activate the phone.

--K

10. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    Scoll up to post #4 use that link and method to root your phone.;)

11. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    that is not a typical prollem,that i know of. i used the one click app and it worked fine for me. id run it again,and give it another shot. when you first get to recovery,make a backup. try wiping dalvik cache and flash rootme.zip again. if for some reason it still doesnt work,you can always restore your backup instead of haivng to reflash a stock rom.

if rootme.zip still wont work,try reflashing this rom(or any rom you want to try) again. you can get the keyboard by long pressing the menu softkey. once it pops up,just push the 123 button to get numbers :)

12. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    I would do this: if you created a Nandroid backup before you installed rootme.zip, try restoring it. Then download and flash xtrSENSE over what you have now and see if that works. It should.