• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions about Titanium Pro on the Marquee

mvaness

Android Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Hi Everyone,

I have Titanium Pro installed, rooted of course, but I have a question about bloatware system apps.

Can I freeze, for example youtube or even gmail, and then install them from the market, so they won't be installed into system/apps? Or, and this may be the bigger question, is it even worth it to try?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Everyone,

I have Titanium Pro installed, rooted of course, but I have a question about bloatware system apps.

Can I freeze, for example youtube or even gmail, and then install them from the market, so they won't be installed into system/apps? Or, and this may be the bigger question, is it even worth it to try?

Thanks in advance...

Are you trying to make some of the system apps into user apps or vise versa?

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance...

Or you can just convert any system app to a user app. Long press on any app in titanium pro and a menu should pop up giving you the option to convert it between system and user.

Upvote 0
Or you can just convert any system app to a user app. Long press on any app in titanium pro and a menu should pop up giving you the option to convert it between system and user.
I was getting there.. Just wasn't sure if that is what he was trying to do.. I took a SS for him..
Long Press a System App:

Long Press a User App:

Upvote 0
As munguse suggested, you can convert it to user apps using Titanium Pro; you can always use root explorer and move the *.apk and *.odex files for a particular app out of /system/app (save them in case you need them). Just be careful you don't move important Android system apks or else you'll soft-brick the phone. How To Remove / Uninstall Android System Apps

On mine, I removed quite a few of the higher level apks (like bloatware or apps I don't use) from /system/app; on the ones I'm not sure, I just freeze them with Titanium Pro. Give me a clean, lean, fast performance.

Upvote 0
As munguse suggested, you can convert it to user apps using Titanium Pro; you can always use root explorer and move the *.apk and *.odex files for a particular app out of /system/app (save them in case you need them). Just be careful you don't move important Android system apks or else you'll soft-brick the phone. How To Remove / Uninstall Android System Apps

On mine, I removed quite a few of the higher level apks (like bloatware or apps I don't use) from /system/app; on the ones I'm not sure, I just freeze them with Titanium Pro. Give me a clean, lean, fast performance.
Wouldn't TiBU be faster and more efficient?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips folks...

I completely forgot about converting system apps to user apps, as I was a little skeptical about it. Dummy me. As I get more familiar with this app, I am sure I will understand more.

I thought I would review Bloodawn's removed apps zip from CTMod on the Prevail as a guide on what to convert. But only converting the ones I am positive won't affect the system. And do further research on the rest.

Again, Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips folks...

I completely forgot about converting system apps to user apps, as I was a little skeptical about it. Dummy me. As I get more familiar with this app, I am sure I will understand more.

I thought I would review Bloodawn's removed apps zip from CTMod on the Prevail as a guide on what to convert. But only converting the ones I am positive won't affect the system. And do further research on the rest.

Again, Thanks!
No problem, I hope you figure out what you were trying to do from earlier. Here are a couple sites that could possibly be of some help..
Barebones - CyanogenMod Wiki
xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP] /system/app APK's - Safe to remove list and functions

Upvote 0
No problem, I hope you figure out what you were trying to do from earlier. Here are a couple sites that could possibly be of some help..
Barebones - CyanogenMod Wiki
xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP] /system/app APK's - Safe to remove list and functions

Thanks for the help... As for what I looking at earlier might take a bit. Running the Windows 8 beta on a raid 0 encrypted drive setup, with a big non raid backup, but Linux won't install on this particular setup in dual boot mode, yet.

I am unsure if I can create a development system in a virtual box on Windows 8, but I am going to look into it. Might be more hassle than it is worth. I might give the dual boot a go on my laptop though, no raid there! I have always liked the LMDE version of Linux Mint... debian-based on semi-rolling release schedule. I think I should find all the tools I need in the repos.

Thanks for the links!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help... As for what I looking at earlier might take a bit. Running the Windows 8 beta on a raid 0 encrypted drive setup, with a big non raid backup, but Linux won't install on this particular setup in dual boot mode, yet.

I am unsure if I can create a development system in a virtual box on Windows 8, but I am going to look into it. Might be more hassle than it is worth. I might give the dual boot a go on my laptop though, no raid there!

Thanks for the links!
Just an idea, but I also had Windows 8 running an early beta on my pc via Bootable USB.
Check this out:
http://www.guidingtech.com/10026/create-bootable-windows-8-usb-drive-iso-image/

Upvote 0
No need to be condescending, I was not trying to belittle you. I am merely wondering if there is more benefit or possibly safer to doing it via a file explorer?

Sorry I didn't mean to come over as condescending. I knew what you were talking and of course not belittling me. I was just saying sometimes I do stuff the hard way instead of the easier way, like using tibu. So that's why I call myself that. The way I mentioned is more manual and I guess it's good if you don't use tibu or don't have it

Reactions: Bionic Chronic
Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't mean to come over as condescending. I knew what you were talking and of course not belittling me. I was just saying sometimes I do stuff the hard way instead of the easier way, like using tibu. So that's why I call myself that. The way I mentioned is more manual and I guess it's good if you don't use tibu or don't have it
I can understand how context can be hard to judge here haha. So my bad man. Yea, i do that sometimes too. Do things the hard way to learn how they are done.

Reactions: ndno
Upvote 0
I can understand how context can be hard to judge here haha. So my bad man. Yea, i do that sometimes too. Do things the hard way to learn how they are done.

Again sorry about that. I need to check my post next time before I click on the submit button... I'm starting to do a lot of the bad writing at work too, it's ridiculous. A lot of times I want to say "can't" or "didn't " but I end up leaving out 't but luckily my coworkers understand me based on the context. Hopefully it's not a sign of something as I just hit my big 40 last month ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones