• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about upgrading to Incredible

timjet

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Hi Folks, I'm new here. I'm eligible to upgrade my phone and am thinking about the HTC incredible. I would like a phone with GPS and WiFi which I understand the incredible has. My concern, does Verizon change for this? My wifes' Blackberry has GPS but Verizon changes an incredible $10/mo, which is just a little too incredible for us. Anyway, if I order the Incredible can I expect to be able to use all of it's features without paying an extra fee?
Thanks everyone,
Tim

You won't have to pay for GPS and Wifi services. I think this is why they made everyone get the data plan. They also added a lot of services to VZ Navigator to lure those who don't want to buy a smartphone away from just using a GPS device.

You get the use of Google Maps in the stock version of the android phones. You are going to be jealous if you have to stick with your blackberry... UPDATE: I misread your post, I thought your wife was getting the Incredible and you were using the blackberry. You may as well plan on buying two unless you really like your couch.

Reactions: timjet
Upvote 0
Tim, you're not paying for GPS capabilities, you're paying Verizon for their Verizon Navigator GPS software. Blackberries are able to use both Blackberry Maps and Google Maps for GPS-guided directions free of charge. The caveat is that neither provides audible turn by turn directions like Verizon's software does.

Upvote 0
OME6A,
Thanks, I was under the false impression that my wife's BB required additional fees to use the GPS. If I understand you correctly, she can download Google maps and use that software for navigation without incurring additional charges, but with no audible directions.

In reading my incredible manual I understand that I can tether the incredible to my laptop and use my laptop to access the internet through my incredible and Verizon's data plan. I believe Verizon use to charge a bundle for this. Is this also free?

Thanks

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, she can download Google maps and use that software for navigation without incurring additional charges, but with no audible directions.
Yes, this is fact.
I believe Verizon use to charge a bundle for this. Is this also free?
I've never had a need for tethering so I'm afraid I can't give an answer here. My gut tells me that it's rather unlikely for VZW to give this away for free though. A quick call should answer that solidly.

Upvote 0
If you want to tether you can use PDAnet. I use it all the time, it works great, and love it. The free version has random ads and the paid version is a one time fee of $25 (not monthly) which is easily worth it in my opinion.

I recently bought an incredible (came from an Eris) and It's simply awesome. The best phone I've ever used by far. In my opinion its even significantly better than the Iphone my brother and his roommate have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones