• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions before Purchase

Hi All,

I am currently serving in the Air Force and am looking at getting a tablet that I can throw in my bag and use about the place when I am on my down time in Afghan this summer.

I have been doing a load of research and I think that the Flytouch 3 is a good shout as if i break it, its cheap enough to replace and I am not too worried about throwing it about, compared to an IPAD.

I am open to throwing on Tims updated firmware and getting the thing running smoothly but this is what I want the tablet to offer me...

Some cheap and easy internet browsing, mainly forums

Facebook inc. the chat facility

Skype video.. If not is there a possible alternative that will work with the camera installed or can I use a 3rd party camera like I do with my laptop now?

bbc iplayer.. Purely for the F1 out there.. Need to be able to watch this or I will lose my cool.

Do we have the facility to throw on any windows applications, I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I use to track my progress, routes run etc. Does Android have software I can use with this?

Can I plug any random external HDD in and watch films with no issues on this?

Finally, when on exercise in the UK i tend to use a mobile 3g dongle. Its a hauwai one, I was just wondering whether S0i's/Tims rom will work with a 16Gb tablet? and which one is best for mobile broadband?

Thanks again

SFF*

Hi All,

I am currently serving in the Air Force and am looking at getting a tablet that I can throw in my bag and use about the place when I am on my down time in Afghan this summer.

I have been doing a load of research and I think that the Flytouch 3 is a good shout as if i break it, its cheap enough to replace and I am not too worried about throwing it about, compared to an IPAD.

I am open to throwing on Tims updated firmware and getting the thing running smoothly but this is what I want the tablet to offer me...

Some cheap and easy internet browsing, mainly forums

Facebook inc. the chat facility

Skype video.. If not is there a possible alternative that will work with the camera installed or can I use a 3rd party camera like I do with my laptop now?

bbc iplayer.. Purely for the F1 out there.. Need to be able to watch this or I will lose my cool.

Do we have the facility to throw on any windows applications, I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I use to track my progress, routes run etc. Does Android have software I can use with this?

Can I plug any random external HDD in and watch films with no issues on this?

Finally, when on exercise in the UK i tend to use a mobile 3g dongle. Its a hauwai one, I was just wondering whether S0i's/Tims rom will work with a 16Gb tablet? and which one is best for mobile broadband?

Thanks again

SFF*

Hi,

Here are some answers for you, if I don't mention it then you can assume I don't know but someone else probably will.

• I use s0I's firmware and the 3G support is impeccable - Tim's firmware greater than v3 includes the same support. I have a Huwaei 1750 / 1550 on Three.

• Skype video has been reported not to work.

• I use BBC iPlayer regularly and it runs fine with a few provisos:

1. It will not run full screen
  2. It pauses if you switch away so you can't listen to the radio while doing something else
  3. If you switch away and then switch back the image is replaced by a white square.This is not a problem because reloading the page positions you back where you were
I do, however, seem to be unique in this respect as everyone else [using Tim 4x] either can't use iPlayer or has serious sync problems.
  • No, it doesn't run windows software but the FlyTouch does have its own GPS.

• Yes, you can add an external HDD or stream from a uPnP server.
I think that covers most things and hope you find it useful.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I noted that the FT3 has its own GPS but I can't really strap it to me when going for a run for 5-10 miles haha.. Although doable, I might look like a lunatic to the rest of the camp.

Are there any alternatives to video calling with the FT3, I really would like to be able to see my partner, something like MSN or possibly Yahoo?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I noted that the FT3 has its own GPS but I can't really strap it to me when going for a run for 5-10 miles haha.. Although doable, I might look like a lunatic to the rest of the camp.

Are there any alternatives to video calling with the FT3, I really would like to be able to see my partner, something like MSN or possibly Yahoo?

Hi,

Glad to be of help.

GPS:
I was toying with the idea of putting a bit of velcro inside a hat and hiding the antenna that way and with the tablet in my back pack no one would be any the wiser. But I suspect doing anything that makes you stand out isn't really advisable on a military base...

Video Calls:
Yes, there is an app called Fring which I have been investigating myself. It looks promising, but, to be honest, I would prefer to have something Open rather than proprietary, so I'll probably end up with a SIP based solution that can be easily integrated into my Asterisk setup here at home...

[With apologies to all fans of 'Two And A Half Men'. After three, 1, 2, 3; "I call from a SIPpy phone, SIPpy phone, SIPpy phone, I call from a SIPpy phone,'cause I'm a big kid now..."]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones