• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions, Comments, and Concerns

graye

Lurker
Jun 14, 2010
Alabama
I'm new to Android and so therefore am stil learning. I have a Moto Droid and am trying to customize and configure my droid to my liking. In the process I have downloaded a sms app, home launcher app, 2-3 games, and 2-3 productivity apps. To checkup on my droid status and ensure that I don't have TOO many xtras and I downloaded a memory guage and the usage meters says I've completely used 100% of my running memory and have 90-95% left on storage(phone and mem card). I'm guessing this is similar to a computers RAM but should this be correct? my using 100% of my running memory? My droid is only 2 weeks old, I hope this isnt all my droid is capable of. (and btw I have the advanced task killer VZW added b4 I left the store.)

tia

Its supposed to do that. What it does is load programs in your memory as you open them, and leaves them running in the background, so that way they can be called up quickly if you need them again.

However, when its running low, and you open a new app, and sees it doesn't have enough memory, it will close an old app that you haven't used in awhile to make room for the new one.

Its a different way of memory management from Windows and such. More used RAM is a GOOD thing, since it makes it run faster while using frequently used apps.

Upvote 0
@demache... Therefore you don't need a task manager... if you go to settings/apps/running apps.. there you'll see whats running.. and if u want to stop something (let's say and app got stuck) you can do it right there...

@graye.. I'm not sure what app you have.. but provably it is measuring the system memory and not the actual space available for apps... I recommend you an app call "mini info widget"... set the widget on your home screen, and it will let you see the space for "apps" left and also the space available in your sdcard... or you can simply go to setting/phone storage... and there u will be able to see the same thing

Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
@graye.. I'm not sure what app you have.. but provably it is measuring the system memory and not the actual space available for apps...
Sure it is. It's mentioned in the OP (emphasis added):
To checkup on my droid status and ensure that I don't have TOO many xtras and I downloaded a memory guage and the usage meters says I've completely used 100% of my running memory and have 90-95% left on storage(phone and mem card).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones