• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions for N1 users

laddcapt

Lurker
Apr 27, 2010
I am considering switching from my BB to N1 on AT&T. I have a couple of questions since I have yet to see this phone in real life.
1. Is gmail push or pull?
2. Does the N1 work well with microsoft exchange?
3. Does the google calender work well?
4. Can you assign different alerts to different email, texts?
I am having trouble parting with my BB but I like google products. Any help would be appreciated.

I am considering switching from my BB to N1 on AT&T. I have a couple of questions since I have yet to see this phone in real life.
I am having trouble parting with my BB but I like google products. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Push
2. Pass - don't use it myself
3. Very - I sync my Mac calendar to my Google calendar, share my girlfriend's calendar to it and pipe my work exchange calendar (through a syncing program) to it. All 3 calendars replicate to my phone beautifully.
4. Alerts are assigned per Gmail account (in the Google Mail app) and per Email Account (in the Mail app). Texts have their own notification settings.

Upvote 0
1. Gmail is push
2. No. Well, not stock anyway. If you root, you can install the desire rom which I believe has an exchange client, or you can also purchase the Touchdown app for $20.00. I tried the demo of this, and it seemed to work pretty well.
3. Not sure, don't really use it
4. Probably. I've never done this myself, and I don't think it's supported out of the box, I'm sure that there are apps that can do this.

Upvote 0

Here ya go:

1. Mail gets to my phone before it shows up on my web browser.
2. Yes, and if you need the APK for that, PM me and I can send it to you.
3. Yes, although, the widget sucks, I would get Pure Calendar Widget and/or Pure Grid Calendar Widget
4. Yes, you can have custom alerts/ringtones for different events and even different ones for contacts/contact groups.

Here are a few pointers that I would take into account.

1. If this is your first android phone, I would not Root it and install custom ROM's until you have a chance to get comfortable with it and get used to it.
2. Get a Task Manager/Task Killer application. This will help keep memory high and reboots low (I have not rebooted my N1 for almost 2 weeks now, and the last reboot was because I needed to pull the SD card out). Advanced Task Killer works well (paid and free versions available)
3. I have a few "mods"/Apps on my stock, non-rooted, N1 that I like because it makes things nice. Get the Barcode Scanner (Barcode Scanner - Cyrket) off the market and use it to click links below and scan the QRC barcodes on the pages to go directly to the apps in the Market:
a. HelixLauncher2 (http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/66165-helixlauncher2-0-7-system-app-mod.html)
b. Beautiful Widgets (Beautiful Widgets - Cyrket) - Fantastic Desktop Clock/Weather app and widgets for turnging wifi, BT, GPS, Silent and more on and off with one touch.
c. Advanced Task Manager (Advanced Task Manager - Cyrket) - Set it to auto kill or manually kill running apps to free up memory and make your phone snappy again.
d. Astro File Manager (ASTRO File Manager - Cyrket) Lets you browse your phone's files and whatnot. Also love it because you can use this to backup/restore your apps that you have downloaded, in case you had to reset your phone or whatever.
e. Handcent SMS (Handcent SMS - Cyrket) To me, the best SMS/MMS app out.
f. Dialer One (Dialer One - Cyrket) great replacement for the default dialer app.
g. Twicca Beta (twicca BETA - Cyrket) My Twitter app of choice.
h. Pure Calendar Widget (Pure Calendar widget (agenda) - Cyrket) this is the calendar widget app I mentioned.
i. Pure Grid Calendar (Pure Grid calendar widget - Cyrket) Another way to look at your calendars.

The 2 Calendar Widgets above can sync/show multiple calendars (google and exchange) so they are well worth the money!

I am sure others will help ya with more suggestions, but those are what I would go with for sure, especially if you use your phone more for business. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones