1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Questions from a Droid newb thinking about getting the DC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lepaq, May 31, 2011.

1. Lepaq

Lepaq Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    After owning an LG enV Touch for the last two years, it's finally time to get into the smartphone market. After learning, reading, and watching a bunch of reviews for a couple days, I'm really liking what I see in the Droid Charge, especially that great screen. Although I have a few questions based on some concerns I noticed:

• Lag in the UI: In video reviews I've watched, whenever switching from different screens, there's some slight lag. In comparison, the T'bolt didn't have this lag. Would the DC's UI lag be fixed by Gingerbread or Launcher Pro or a root?

• Battery Life: I keep reading a lot of different things about battery life. Some places make "Charge" puns because battery life is poor, yet I have also read that battery life is great. Note: I'm currently not in a 4G LTE area and since it'll be my first smartphone, I doubt I'd be a power-hungry super-user. Is it safe to say that it's constant 4G use that causes battery concerns? I'd even be fine with 7AM-7PM battery life of social networking, web browsing, and messaging (on 3G).

• Benchmarks: I admit, I'm a bit of a spec and benchmark junkie when it comes to my desktop computer. Quadrant scores of ~1000 seem low for such a new device. In the experience of owners here, does it outperform what that 1000 Quadrant score might indicate?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    rapper, producer and security
    Phoenix, AZ

Ive had the charge since its release i can help you out:

The lag can be fixed via root or Launcher pro im actually rooted and using launcher pro and see no lag as for lag in the browser you can download xscope or dolphin browser hd

Battery life is great. Yes it takes time for the phone to get used to battery to give it full potential but since your not in 4G yet your battery will last LONG because the 3G radio uses less battery life than the 4G radio so your good.

Yes benchmarks suck..for right now but i swear the phone does out perform what the benchmarks say. Soon roms and kernals will be out that will kill benchmark tests. Infact if you look on xda forums you will see that devs are cooking up some great things and have had benchmark scores of 1500. Hope this info helps

3. Lepaq

Lepaq Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks. I also have another question.

Through my dad's employer, we have access to a special deal online where we can order the DC for $199.

When we order these online, is transferring data from the old phones and activation easy to do at home? We've only had the VZW reps do it for us at the retail stores.

4. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    The biggest thing you're going to notice is that battery life on smartphones is very diff then the feature phones. There's apps and widgets that you'll have running all the time, plus with the faster internet, you'll be on it all the time. Once you see all that you can do, I'm fairly positive you'll be using it as much as possible. So you might become more of a power user than you even realize. Expect to be charging your phone every night when you go to bed.

It's easy to transfer phones over from home, but if you want to port all your contacts over, you'll need to do that in store. Keep in mind they may charge you for doing that. If you buy the phone in-store, they do it for free, but I think they will charge if you get the phone elsewhere for about $15.

5. Sintec

Sintec Member
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    Arizona
    As others have touched on...Launcher pro solves the screen lag. And while alternate browsers like XScope and Dolphin HD help with the browser lag, it does not get rid of it. It still bothers me when I am browsing, so much so that I am seriously debating returning it for the Revolution. It also lags when turning on the lock screen, and although not a huge deal, quite annoying. My battery life has been decent, was hoping for more, but its still pretty good. With moderate to heavy use, I can usually make it 9-10 hours.

6. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    I went witht he DC yesterday after spending several visits at the VZ store playing with the DC, rev and X2. I ruled out TB becasue of crappy battery and nagging probelms. I found each and every phone has some lag at some times. I actually loved the X2, just hated it was 3G and also every time I woudl launch the camera it woudl either hang the phone of take forever to launch. The qHD screen was very nice, I know everyon knocks the pentile pixel display, but maybe my 50 yo eyes are not seeing it under normal use, the qHD was very nice. The Rev was nice except for Bing and the fact that I hate LG, their support and customer service sucks, they will do anything to void a warranty claim. I woudl have preferred a Bionic, but I am hoping Moto is making it rock solid for an August-ish launch. With Costco discount and $120 coupon I can dump the DC in a few months and be close to even and get a Bionic if it is that good, but honestly the AMOLED screen is sexy. While I did not find lag on DC to be bad suspect it was heavy Flash sites, I did install Launcher Pro right away rather than spend too much time learning TW. Every phone I played with had some noticable lag on some web sites, I am begininig to see Apple's point with Flash and pushing for HTML 5!

7. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I have a DC on the way that I got off ebay (fingers crossed). I plan to root it because I'm convinced the phone can be amazing with a custom ROM. My Incredible is an order of magnitude better rooted, running CM7. It's ultra smooth and the battery life doubled from the stock HTC ROM. I'm pretty convinced getting rid of the stock UI and the carrier bloatware does wonders for these phones. Even if you install something over top of TW, it's not the same as stripping the stuff off the device so it isn't running. I love the incredible but I was getting tired of the feature shortcomings and honestly, I'm disappointed that Verizon hasn't put out a beast 4G phone and rather resting on last year's processing power. I'm saving my official upgrade for the SGS2.