• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions from a newbie!!

TheRobster

Sep 12, 2011
Hi all.
I have just got my first android, a Galaxy S2. Upgraded from a Blackberry.
And I have a few simple (I hope) questions :-

What is rooting? and does it affect me or my phone?
How do I find out what my current software is and whether it should be upgraded and how?

Finally, I am loving this phone and the whole android thing, but my favourite app on my Blackberry, which is Endomondo, appears to not work on my new S2.
Let me explain, I have downloaded & installed it via android market. It starts up ok. It takes a long while to locate satellites. (far longer than Google maps, and Navigation, which also takes an age!). And once it says "GPS OK", I hit the Start button to initiate the workout, but all I get is the timer running. The distance & speed remain at 0 (zero). Is this a known problem with the app, or a problem with my handset?

any help on the above queries would be great.

The Robster.:D

Welcome to Android Forums!

What is rooting?

It's the process of gaining full superuser rights on the handset. As the underlying kernel is Linux-based, the superuser (su) account is known as "root", hence the term "rooting".

and does it affect me or my phone?
Only if you do it. :)
Possible reasons for doing so are to allow removal of unwanted apps installed in /system (which is ordinarily inaccessible), to install modified firmwares/kernels/themes, or to allow greater functionality (in conjunction with other apps such as Tasker).

How do I find out what my current software is
Menu/Settings/About phone will list baseband (modem), kernel and build number (firmware) versions.

and whether it should be upgraded and how?
If you install Samsung's Kies PC software suite it will identify your handset when connected via USB and inform you of any officially-released update for your region/network carrier.

It's also possible to easily install any GS2 firmware via another Samsung utility but, as that would not be officially sanctioned and could therefore void your warranty, it's not something I'd advise for a brand-new handset.

I'm not familar with Endomondo, but this post explains how to ensure that your GPS performance is optimised. If, after following it, you still have problems then at least you can be confident that the handset itself isn't the cause.

Upvote 0
It's also possible to easily install any GS2 firmware via another Samsung utility but, as that would not be officially sanctioned and could therefore void your warranty, it's not something I'd advise for a brand-new handset.

If you spend anytime on here you'll see lot's of people updating firmware via a programme called Odin. all the information/files you would need to do this are on this forum. many people find kies rubbish and updates slow to appear, so manage updates themselves via odin. ultimately it's the best way to get the most out of your phone.

but as slug advises, get to know your phone first before rushing in - get a beer or pot of tea and read up and you'll soon see the pros and cons of doing this.

Upvote 0
were you trying to use Kies air?? to get updates and use the full Kies package, you need to download software to your PC from the Samsung website and attach your phone via USB

Ah, that would probably explain it! I wondered why there was no cd in the box! Yes, I connected the phone with usb and have just downloaded kies onto desktop.Bingo! now running and I have the latest software. All good!

Now, if I could just get Endomondo to work .........

Upvote 0
"GPS Status by itself will be enough."

Oh, Ok. I could only find an app called "GPS Status & toolbox".
I will try harder and searcg for "GPS Status".

Once installed & set-up, will this improve the speed of other mapping & nav apps? The installed google maps finds a gps signal quite quickly, but Navigation takes ages, sometimes I have to drive 10 miles before it works!

Thanks for your help so far. I have just discovered a serious connection issue with WiFi which I will start a new post about.........

Upvote 0
there is an app called faster fix which dramatically improved my gps performance, but i think you have to be rooted for this:(

i think the "GPS status & toolbox" app and "gps status" app are one and the same thing.

yes, once GPS is sorted/improved, it will work better for all apps.

ironass gives a good user guide somehwere on how to get the most out of the gps status app - try searching for this.

Upvote 0
there is an app called faster fix which dramatically improved my gps performance, but i think you have to be rooted for this:(

i think the "GPS status & toolbox" app and "gps status" app are one and the same thing.

yes, once GPS is sorted/improved, it will work better for all apps.

ironass gives a good user guide somehwere on how to get the most out of the gps status app - try searching for this.

STOP PRESS.........

I have just finished updating my gps using gps status and it appears all is good! My maps and Navigation both located gps quickly . A vast improvement.
Also it appears that my endomondo app has started recording speed and distance !!!
But I will need to test this further .

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones