• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions from a noob.. basic and mac related

avenable

Dec 4, 2009
How do I power the phone off?

Is there a manual somewhere out there? Mine only came with a book called 'Tips, Hints and Shortcuts.'

I have a mac... is there anyway to sync this to my computer?

Also how do I put files onto the phone... I have mounted the phone onto computer and can see it but I don't know where to put the files.

When using the phone, can you rename folders? How do you manage these folders?

Also is there a way to remove all the crap software that comes loaded.... amazonmp3, no thanks!.... Peep, no thanks!.... I read about "rooting" but this seems complicated, is there maybe an application that does it for you?

Thanks in advance for your time.

This is the pc way of syncing not sure if it works for macs:

Salling Software - Home

to load files (long as u can see it on the pc) just drag and drop to the SDcard (i created a folder called music). but that program, giving it works, should put the music where it needs to be.
then if u install tunewiki to listen to your music it will find the music for you.
to delete programs go to settings, applications, manage applications, click on what you dont want then choose uninstall.
we are waiting for a rom dump from verizon or htc to be able to root the eris.
im assuming its like winmo, shouldnt be too difficult after you do it once or twice :)

Upvote 0
How do I power the phone off?
Is there a manual somewhere out there? Mine only came with a book called 'Tips, Hints and Shortcuts.'
I think... there was a manual included somewhere... I forgot where though :p I remember the verizon people saying there was a digital one you could get to

I have a mac... is there anyway to sync this to my computer?
If you're trying to sync Music, I use Doubletwist to get my iTunes playlists to my phone. If you're trying to get mail/contacts/etc the phone is made to go through a Google account. So what you can do is have your phone (like it does by default) sync to your google Account, then just set up your Mail.app and whatnot to use google's wonderful ActiveSync and it'll keep your Calendar, Mail, everything synchronized. This prevents you from constantly having to plug your phone it to back it up, it just works automagically!

Also how do I put files onto the phone... I have mounted the phone onto computer and can see it but I don't know where to put the files.
Hold down the "Hang up call" or sleep button, it'll give you a bunch of menu items including power off the phone, mute it, etc.

When using the phone, can you rename folders? How do you manage these folders?
Not sure if you can do this out of the box, but if you go to the market there's a great app called Astro, its free and pretty easy to use. It gives you complete control over your SD card and can do all file management you need.

Also is there a way to remove all the crap software that comes loaded.... amazonmp3, no thanks!.... Peep, no thanks!.... I read about "rooting" but this seems complicated, is there maybe an application that does it for you?
Theres a couple of ways you can do this, I guess you'll want to go into the settings, then go to Applications, then Manage Applications. It'll let you remove stuff from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.... good pointers on the google syncing and found the manual!

Yes, I see how to remove programs that I have installed but can't figure out how to do the same for the preloaded software that I don't want.

Still having trouble with the folders and files management... For example, I can select a 'new folder' in the widgets menu... but how do I put things in the folder? Or rename the folder?

Also I see that I can open pdfs or word docs by using pdf viewer or quickoffice, but is there a way to pull up a list of files if I want to view both the pdfs and docs that are loaded on the phone? Also what's with the 2 dozen or so "version" documents?

Upvote 0
Still having trouble with the folders and files management... For example, I can select a 'new folder' in the widgets menu... but how do I put things in the folder? Or rename the folder?
Yea this is a little confusing actually, these folders as far as I can tell are not "real folders" like you think of on your computer. They're only used for shortcuts on your "desktops" as far as I can tell! Basically if you create a shortcut to a program or a person on your desktop, you can tap and hold and drag that shortcut into your folder. I guess just a way to arrange your desktop shortcuts. You cannot put widgets in these folders as far as I can tell.

To rename a folder, tap it to open it, then tap and hold on the top title, that should let you rename it!

As far as creating "real" folders on your SD-Card, you need to use ASTRO or your USB mount in order to do that.

Also I see that I can open pdfs or word docs by using pdf viewer or quickoffice, but is there a way to pull up a list of files if I want to view both the pdfs and docs that are loaded on the phone? Also what's with the 2 dozen or so "version" documents?
I never found a way of doing this out of the box, but using Astro (the file management program from the Market) you can do all of this.

Not sure about the version docs, where are you seeing those?

Upvote 0
Yes, I see how to remove programs that I have installed but can't figure out how to do the same for the preloaded software that I don't want.

Forgot to mention that if you go under the Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications

This lets you delete anything installed on the phone (even verizon's default "set-up wizard" if you wanted to). I'd be careful removing certain things from there as it may be difficult to re-set up some programs.

But as you mentioned in your original post, deleting some of the twitter apps and stuff could be done through this menu.

If you go through the marketplace to "My Applications" Or "My Download Applications" that only lists items you installed manually through the Marketplace.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation on folders. I was thinking of them in terms of folders such as on a computer.

When I open quickoffice, I see 19 "version.txt" as files that can be opened. They all contain a short string of numbers such as 12.11.0 or 12.15.0 or 9.0.21, etc... I just noticed they are in the Skyscape folder, I guess I will have to figure out how to tell skyscape not to do this.

My phone does not let me uninstall applications like Peep or amazonmp3... the uninstall button that should be present as with other applications simply isn't there. Not that big of a deal but mildly annoying.

Upvote 0
I have been using a beta version of the Missing Sync for Android, which just appears to have become available (if you want to pay for it). Honestly, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there for you.

There's also a big pdf manual available which you can see right here!
EDIT: Didn't realize you found it already! Guess the link's for anyone else who needs it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones