1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Questions from a noob

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Member731221, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Member731221

Member731221 Guest
    None
    Hi all,

I just got a nexus s this weekend (in love...) and it's my first android phone... SO, I have a couple of random questions that I haven't been able to find answers for yet:

- Is it possible to be alerted to new email when the display is off/locked? (I'm using the gmail app). I only get the new email notification sound once I click the display back on (but don't need to unlock it). Do I need a special gmail notifier app?

- Can someone recommend a basic app that syncs with google tasks, and that has a good location reminder function? I've tried a couple (remind@, ultimate to do list) but have not had any luck with them actually reminding me of my tasks (or maybe that's just me not knowing how to set them up properly...)

Thanks in advance,

Sarra

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    No, just open the Gmail app and go into the settings and make sure the notifications are enabled for each email address. The notification sound will alert you whenever you get an email. You can set it to alert once or every time a new email arrives. The screen does not need to be on for these alerts.
    Can't really help with that. I use a task/notes app but not one that uses location info - I just check the app when I'm out to remind me.

3. megadude

megadude Member
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    when the screen is off, after like a minute the phone switches to battery saving mode and the WIFI connection(in my case) is temporarily off until the next time you switch the screen on. I don't know if the same happens with 3G or 4G.

4. brounmoney

brounmoney Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011

Are you using some kind of battery saving app cause it does not kill your 3g connection when the screen is off unless you tell it to. You should be getting the notification sound and something in you notification bar.

For you location problem you might want to check out locale. It will detect your location and switch off the ringer and things like that. It also has plug-ins so it may also remind of tasks. I will check into it for you. It does cost 3.99 but that might just be worth it. You may also want to check out tasker.

By the way great buy getting the Nexus s. I have had it for a little over a month and love it. This is not my first android, but by far the best phone I have ever owned. I did have an iphone 3g and iphone 4 and neither come close. Let me know if you need more help.

megadude likes this.
  5. blackphoenix

blackphoenix Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    studying political science
    Denmark
    It is a feature in android, you can change it via settings -> wireless and network -> WiFi settings -> menu key -> advanced - > WiFi sleep policy.
    There it is possible for you to set if the wifi connection is dropped when the screen is turned off, never or never when plugged in, just change it to never, if it is a problem for you.

6. megadude

megadude Member
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    I said only WiFi in my case and I don't know about 3g. thanks for the info though.
    I think the OP could use your help.

thank you, I was not aware of this option

Tags: