• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions from an extreme newbie

RD223

Lurker
Jan 19, 2016
Hi

Here's my problem. I am in Miami, Fl. I have to run an app (Uber/partner) which uses a lot of memory. I have to use Google maps. I use the phone for calls and messages, don't do email or search the web, I take very few photos. I am having a lot of problems with the app not loading and sometimes with Google Maps as well. The phone displays tells me I have 4glte and it is usually at full bars. Uber says that my phone network coverage is bad, Metro says to get a better phone. I have Lyft which is a similar app as Uber on another LG phone with Metro PCS and no problems. I can't afford Verizon or AT&T and Sprint is almost too expensive as well, will Crickett work out for me? Also could all of this have to do with data? How many Gs do you guys recommend?

Hi

Here's my problem. I am in Miami, Fl. I have to run an app (Uber/partner) which uses a lot of memory. I have to use Google maps. I use the phone for calls and messages, don't do email or search the web, I take very few photos. I am having a lot of problems with the app not loading and sometimes with Google Maps as well. The phone displays tells me I have 4glte and it is usually at full bars. Uber says that my phone network coverage is bad, Metro says to get a better phone. I have Lyft which is a similar app as Uber on another LG phone with Metro PCS and no problems. I can't afford Verizon or AT&T and Sprint is almost too expensive as well, will Crickett work out for me? Also could all of this have to do with data? How many Gs do you guys recommend?

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS RD223 !
Coverage & data plan are gonna determine the best results for your use:
Constantly on the go is a challenge for connectivity if you're in a weak area.
Slow data speeds are likely if you're on a capped unlimited plan,meaning speeds will be slowed down to 2g if you go over your allotment of hi speed data per billing period.

The device you have is a factor as well,even if you're in a well covered area with no caps of hi speed data:
If your phone is a low RAM model,multi-tasking,especially with mapping apps & the Uber/Lyft apps,your phone is gonna be slow to keep up.

Try swapping the phones & see if you get better results.

BTW,could you list which phones you're currently using with each Uber & Lyft and the network/plans you're using with each?
THX!

Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones