1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Questions!!! Hboot/S-on/off/RUU and more

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FoX777, Nov 16, 2011.

1. FoX777

FoX777 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Okay I have a few

Advertisement

2. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    1. I'm not sure I understand the question correctly (aren't you asking the same thing in question 2?), but I think it's a 'yes'. You must change the Revolutionary HBOOT to another version, preferably an ENG version to install an RUU.

2. Yes, as long as the phone is S-OFF and rooted.

3. The one that works! There are two linked here. Both work. Some people get one to work and not the other. The md5sum differences are often due to developers adding their signatures to the HBOOT, nothing more. There is a way to flash the 2.* HBOOT directly over the Revolutionary HBOOT, although this involves adb and some risk. It might be safer for many to flash the 0.98.2000 ENG HBOOT, then flash the 2.* version.

4. Yes.

5. No. Flashing an ENG HBOOT won't by itself S-OFF an S-ON phone.

6. Either; whichever you feel more confident with or that works. The 'Android Flasher' tool is catching on, making the process simpler still for many people.

7. You can flash any RUU, so long as it's compatible with your phone. I think the reason why people suggested an early (or the earliest) version for the Desire S is because its radio was the best (most stable) of the Sense 2.1 ROMs/updates. The latest radios that come with the 2.* software number (e.g. Baseband 20.48.30.0822U_3822.09.08.20_M) are reported to be the best of all the updates.

8. Yes.

9. Yes, you can find that information with your CID. If you gave the right CID, then HTC__016 means your phone is branded; specifically, Vodafone, South Africa.

FoX777 likes this.
  3. FoX777

FoX777 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Hi, thanks for you effort in the Desire S forum.

Now I think that my Desire s (CID - HTC__016) is branded, I have a few Questions about that casue I am not 100% sure.

Info on my phone;
    Phone:
    HTC Desire S S510e
    HBoot:
    SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT-0.98.0002
    RADIO-3805.06.02.03_M
    eMMC-boot

Andriod version
    HTC Sence version
    Baseband version
    20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M
    Kernel version
    2.6.35.10-g2ee27f5
    htc-kernel@and 18-2 #1
    Wed Jul 8 19:20:03 CST 2011
    Build number
    1.47.401.4 CL78999 release-keys
    Software number 1.47.401.4

1) Can I install this RUU;
    RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed to get back to stock at any stage?

2) I assume I will need a GoldCard to install the RUU right (from a stock point of view)? and how can I passively test if I made my GoldCard right?

3) Could I install this RUU
    RUU_Saga_S_HTC_Europe_2.10.401.5_Radio_20.4801.30.0822U_3822.10.08.04_M_release_219480_signed directly now? (to get the v2 HBoot)

3) After installing the RUU will my CID still be the same, and can I flash the RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed for warranty purposes? Or will they still know it was flashed, cause I see no other signs of branding.

4) If the CID is changed can it be changed back?

5) Okay so now what I really confused about,
    I was looking at this thread here and it says under "Things you need to know before you try solving your problem: " point two
    Now I look in this RUU RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.47.401.4_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199410_signed and it says
    Now I am confused about is it branded.

Now I know that was taken from the Desire forum, but I checked my GF Desire and her CID is also HTC__016 and from vodafone.

4. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    1) It depends what you mean by 'at any stage'? If you have the wrong kind of HBOOT, e.g. the Revolutionary HBOOT, then you won't be able to use a stock RUU over it. Also if you're downgrading, you may have to run additional scripts (e.g. from a GoldCard or adb) or install an earlier HBOOT, depending on which method you choose to downgrade.

2) Not necessarily, depending on which RUU you want to install and if your phone and its current ROM is compatible with it. I've never used a Goldcard, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about GoldCards. If you have a stock ROM or ROM from carrier X, then you should be able to RUU any upgrade over the stock ROM or carrier X ROM, direct from your PC via the USB cable.

3) Yes. You can install that RUU directly over the stock ROM you have (Software number 1.47.401.4, etc). Upgrading from a stock ROM to a stock ROM update shouldn't be a problem. Downgrading is a different matter.

3 again) Yes, to the first part. If the RUU is not compatible with your CID, then it won't install. As to the second part, the answer will be yes if that particular RUU has been, or is, an official OTA in your part of the world. If it hasn't been released as an OTA or RUU to download from your network provider's website, then they may know it's been flashed. I don't know what the situation regarding OTAs and network providers is in South Africa, but, to the best of my knowledge, in the UK 1.47* has been available to all Desire S phones on all UK networks.

4) Yes.

5) I may have been wrong before. HTC__016 could be a place holder for HTC phones in South Africa on the Vodafone (Vodacom) network. This may not necessarily mean it's branded to Vodafone, only that your phone is currently networked to Vodafone, South Africa. Usually branded Vodafone phones will have 'VODA' in the CID. 'HTC__' is the generic prefix for unbranded phones.

So maybe the CID is not a surefire way of telling if your phone is branded or not. I think you also have to factor in where you bought it from (if new), its ROM/software number (when new), the box and leaflets it came with (when new).

However, the android-info.txt from the RUU you post does suggest it isn't branded or that Vodafone haven't bothered to brand a ROM and are happy customers use the stock one. Maybe that's their policy with this phone!?

Ultimately, if you got your phone new (and it hasn't been tampered with), and the warranty is with Vodafone, then, if you ever need to return it to be repaired, just make sure the CID is HTC__016, which it will be, unless you changed it, and you return it S-OFF and unrooted with a software number that's commensurate with one of their OTA software releases.

Tags: