• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions on Bootloading and Rooting the Atrix

jakezori

Lurker
Feb 16, 2011
Although I believe I understand the general idea, I am not 100% clear on the difference between bootloading and rooting.

Rooting: Admin privileged with OS already installed

Bootloading: New OS?

All I think I really want to do is have tethering, and some sideloaded apps. Is all I need for that rooting. If so, the atrix should be fine right? It can be rooted, just not bootloaded? I don't think there is any need for overclocking as its a dual core, and I don't think I really mind moto blur. I am curious about the samsung galaxy s2 though. When is it going to be coming out in the us?

Let me know if some of what I am saying is wrong, doesn't make sense, etc. And please share your thoughts.

Although I believe I understand the general idea, I am not 100% clear on the difference between bootloading and rooting.

Rooting: Admin privileged with OS already installed

Bootloading: New OS?

All I think I really want to do is have tethering, and some sideloaded apps. Is all I need for that rooting. If so, the atrix should be fine right? It can be rooted, just not bootloaded? I don't think there is any need for overclocking as its a dual core, and I don't think I really mind moto blur. I am curious about the samsung galaxy s2 though. When is it going to be coming out in the us?

Let me know if some of what I am saying is wrong, doesn't make sense, etc. And please share your thoughts.

You have it right, and yes all you need is root (for apps like "Wifi Tether" or "Barnacle" in the market) to tether. You can use AT&T's new "mobile hotspot" app, but it is not free. The Atrix will be at least rooted at some point, hopefully by the already existing z4root method (which works for the other Moto's out there).

As to the Galaxy S II, they were careful not to announce a date, so summer at least. Sorry I can't be more specific, I can't say it is something I am interested in.

Upvote 0
I guess my next question would be: Are there a lot of other 3rd party apps that require a bootloaded phone? and simply: Do you think I should get it? (my phone right now sucks)
From what I've read. Opening the bootloader allows you to do more to your phone than simply overclocking or underclocking. It allows you to install all the custom ROMs that the developer community makes that does not have the same kernel that's on your phone. As most of these ROMs (example Gingerbread when the Atrix has Froyo) use a different kernel than the one that's on the phone. With a lock bootloader, it will not accept unknown custom kernel. I think this is where the real issue hits. This means that you have to WAIT until motorola update the phone to the next OS version before the dev community can create a custom ROM. You won't be like some of the other members that will be sporting Gingerbread MONTHS before the carrier even has it OTA to the phone. So when Motorolla stops supporting the Atrix with 2.X and 3.X is out. Basically we won't have 3.X and all of the ROMs will be based only off the 2.X kernel.

This is a good thread that talks about the bootloader speculation: http://androidforums.com/motorola-atrix-4g/252961-bootloader-speculation.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones