• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions on Google Maps

Girevik

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2010
I'm thinking about ditching my TomTom in favor of my phone and have a couple of questions on Google maps.

Frist, I've saved a map of my city to the phone. Will it use that by default rather than using data?

Also, is there as way to save locations and call them up when needed?

Google Maps will not use your offline maps for Navigation. However, if you have calculated your route when on wifi, then it will download (over wifi) all the data it needs. Since unless you deviate from the router (causing it to recalculate and download data) you should be good.

Reactions: Girevik
Upvote 0
Yeah, as I played around with Maps I found it wouldn't use offline maps to navigate.

I don't have a huge data plan, so I'd like to find something that could store most of the date on my phone. I don't mind using the data connection for things like traffic and the like, but would like something that does use some stragegies to limit the amount of data used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones