• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions on replacement batteries, tethering via Bluetooth and colours.

Jakg

Lurker
Jul 15, 2009
I borrowed a G1 from work recently and fell in love with it, and once I'm 18 (just 8 days...) I'll be buying it straight away.

The unit I borrowed I used a lot, and found it it has a poor battery - while I'm ok charging it every night I just wondered if any of the ordinary sized "uprated" cheap batteries on eBay were worth it at all, or are they not very good?

Secondly - 5 days after being 18 i'm going on holiday with my friends and I wanted to use my G1 as an interweb connection on my laptop. For the sake of simplicity i'd rather use Bluetooth, however it seems nothing is quite as simple as just opening an app and clicking a button. Is there anything that simple available?

I have no problem rooting it - but what difference will rooting make to the way the Android Market works etc?

Lastly - in the UK at least the white G1 has been recalled, however I much much prefered the white G1 to the black one. Unless I find someone with a mint new white G1 looking to trade, is it a good idea to use something like this white fascia kit? I would plan on swapping it all over and keeping the original black keypad. Is it a hard job to do?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones