• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions on replacement phones - still having bugs?

I sent my phone back and got a refurb because of the scrolling left trackball issue. Got the refurb, had no problems for a week, now it's srolling left again when plugged in. Yesterday it had a fit of scrolling left when it wasn't plugged in. If it keeps up, I'm sending it back with a barage of complaints aimed at getting an Incredible. HTC dropped the ball on the Eris. It has so many hardware issues (trackball, audio, calling lag, etc.) that there's no way they did extensive testing before sending out the final product.

I will say that this phone is great when it's working properly. I want to throw it out the window when this scrolling sh** happens.

Upvote 0
I got a replacement last week. Got the new one with 1.5 and it immediately said there was a system upgrade available. I updated to 2.1 OTA and then did a factory reset....it worked great for a day or so. Then I ran into FC messages when trying to sync with Outlook using HTC sync. I called HTC & Verizon, was told it was a 2.1 problem and there was no known fix. It was suggested I try a factory reset and if that didn't work then to return the phone AGAIN to VZ. Oh, and I had the 50% bug and signal problems.

Decided to root yesterday...what a difference. Loving it so far, it's like a different phone altogether!

Upvote 0
Does Droid or other 2.1s have these issues?

Has everyone encountering the problems on their replacements installed 2.1? Anyone stay on 1.5?

If I run 2.1 on replacement and it's problematic, I'll have to return it for a new replacement to root, correct?

I would try rooting this replacement, but with my luck...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I recommend, not going to the store, and calling the *611 number and talking to a Customer Service Rep. If the one you get doesn't seem cool hang up and try again, I got a really great CS Rep, after 20 min, replacement was shipped.

Called tonight to try and get my phone replaced, and ended up with more frustration than results. After 3 calls I got the CS rep who thought she could fix all my problems by removing the battery while it was still on. Next she said she would have to do a factory reset on it. I told her that I already did that this weekend to resolve the silent bug (the reason for my multitude of calls). She then told me that the reason I was having problems was due to the apps on my phone, which is the problem with open source and Google's problem not Verizon's. I told her that I had done the factory reset and had the same issues with no apps. She then asked me if I needed instructions how to do a factory reset......It was quiet for a few seconds and then I told her that I would have to call again. She read off the screen and asked me if I needed any further assistance and that Verizon appreciates my business and I hung up.

I will try again another day when I have more patience.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Called tonight to try and get my phone replaced, and ended up with more frustration than results.

I really do think it's the luck of the draw. If you get a responsive rep, you get what you know you need. If it's a dipsh*t, hang up and call back so you can speak with someone else.

I wish we could skip the first tier or two of ignorami (?) and get right to the somewhat-informed techs who have the authority to do what we know we need.

Sorry you had to deal with this crap - but do call back again. And make it clear to them what you want, or else
_uzi___update__by_MrM4tty-1.gif

Upvote 0
Called tonight to try and get my phone replaced, and ended up with more frustration than results. After 3 calls I got the CS rep who thought she could fix all my problems by removing the battery while it was still on. Next she said she would have to do a factory reset on it. I told her that I already did that this weekend to resolve the silent bug (the reason for my multitude of calls). She then told me that the reason I was having problems was due to the apps on my phone, which is the problem with open source and Google's problem not Verizon's. I told her that I had done the factory reset and had the same issues with no apps. She then asked me if I needed instructions how to do a factory reset......It was quiet for a few seconds and then I told her that I would have to call again. She read off the screen and asked me if I needed any further assistance and that Verizon appreciates my business and I hung up.

I'm very sorry to hear this, and quite surprised. With all the calls they are getting with the Eris they should be expecting this and not be treating a customer like they don;t know how to do a factory reset when you obvi. do. I hope they resolve the issues you are having.

Upvote 0
Does Droid or other 2.1s have these issues?

Has everyone encountering the problems on their replacements installed 2.1? Anyone stay on 1.5?

If I run 2.1 on replacement and it's problematic, I'll have to return it for a new replacement to root, correct?

I would try rooting this replacement, but with my luck...:rolleyes:

with my replacement. came 1.5. went 2.1 OTA, had bugs. went back to 1.5, no issues..

Upvote 0
Does yours have Navigation? I have heard that some of the rooted versions did not have it... I also heard that some of them do not have access to protected apps on the market. Is this the case with yours?

I've got access to all the google apps via the market. The one thing I always look for with ROMS is Google Nav. I'm on my 4th rom and all have had access to all the apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones