• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions On SD Partitioning

TADitto

Jul 16, 2011
PHX AZ
I already have my SD card partitioned, have for a long time. Its currently upgraded to ext3 but a few new ROMS out there suggest upgrading to ext4. My question is do I need to reformat my card and then repartition or can I just upgrade to ext4? Another questions is how will upgrading to ext4 affect ROMS that are currently on ext3? I have a few more questions but I'll wait to see if you guys answer them in your responses.:thinking:

I already have my SD card partitioned, have for a long time. Its currently upgraded to ext3 but a few new ROMS out there suggest upgrading to ext4. My question is do I need to reformat my card and then repartition or can I just upgrade to ext4? Another questions is how will upgrading to ext4 affect ROMS that are currently on ext3? I have a few more questions but I'll wait to see if you guys answer them in your responses.:thinking:
You can upgrade to ext 4 without reformating...I did no problem
As far as sense roms with ext 4, most dont support it unless you use the new kernels from ca1ne, such as classic or underworld...the new ones...they support ext 4.....e.z as pie to upgrade in recovery....:)
Just as a backup, do a nandroid but I would foresee no issues.

Reactions: TADitto and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones