• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quick ? About my new galaxy S4

RossK13

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
Glasgow
Hi there, this is my first post so apologies in advance. My fone is not rooted and my carrier is 3 UK. This morning I received an ota software update from 4.2 to 4.3 jellybean, is this normal? As my previous S2 is still running gingerbread also does this mean that I will auto update to kit kat 4.4 in the future? Many thanx from a techno-dummy!

This morning I received an ota software update from 4.2 to 4.3 jellybean, is this normal? As my previous S2 is still running gingerbread also does this mean that I will auto update to kit kat 4.4 in the future? Many thanx from a techno-dummy!

Yes, most carriers at this point have upgraded the S4 to 4.3.

... does this mean that I will auto update to kit kat 4.4 in the future?

Yes again. If your carrier is doinf an OTA update from 4.2 to 4.3 then it's almost certain they will OTA update to 4.4 when it's released.

Reactions: RossK13
Upvote 0
One of the advantages of owning a Samsung high end phone is fairly quick updates. Not as quick as a Google Nexus or Google Edition phone, and maybe not for as long, but better than average.

One concern though is those updates can lead to issues! Not all updates are good updates, and that's even true with Nexus devices (and Apple products). For me that meant having to upgrade the cables on my car phone chargers, and also losing the ability to run the version of Google Maps I liked. Others have had more serious issues.

Reactions: RossK13
Upvote 0
Hi there, this is my first post so apologies in advance. My fone is not rooted and my carrier is 3 UK. This morning I received an ota software update from 4.2 to 4.3 jellybean, is this normal? As my previous S2 is still running gingerbread also does this mean that I will auto update to kit kat 4.4 in the future? Many thanx from a techno-dummy!

Bizarre, im on 3UK and currently running 4.2.2. Did a manual check for new software and nothing. Latest updates have been installed:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't know what the big hullabaloo is about any of the updates anyway. I'm still on 4.2.2 and loving it. My N7 is on 4.4 and the only thing I found so far that I liked was that they finally got rid of the big bold hour number in the clock.

Besides, I can still root my phone in 4.2 (which I did so I can use Google Wallet).

NO UPDATES FOR ME (until I'm convinced I really need them)!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones