1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Quick couple of questions regarding my Desire HD.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eltocliousus, Apr 29, 2011.

1. eltocliousus

eltocliousus Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi, I have recently gotten a new Desire HD (upgrading from an iphone 1stgen) on a T-mobile contract,

Advertisement

2. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Male
    Retired Nurse
    Brighton. UK
    I had mine 4 weeks and love it. Put task killer on and I think it made things worse so took it off, I have started using the moving grass wallpaper which I like and seems to make very little difference to power drain. I had problems with the news feed widget so took it off and that did improve battery life. I just use the news feed app with updates when you click on it when required. I get about 17 hours no problem, I think a lot of people forget these are smart phones and expect the battery to last several days like a traditional mobile. Its not going to happen ask any Iphone user

3. eltocliousus

eltocliousus Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    The constant turning things off using task killer is a bit annoying I'll admit, but if it helps the battery significantly I'm all for it I suppose.
    I have galaxy live wallpaper now and it looks fantastic but I'm still worried about the battery.

4. eltocliousus

eltocliousus Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Also forgot to ask, is the "notifications" bit also the multitasker? The pull-down thingy mabob.

5. Quboid

Quboid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 30, 2009
    Male
    Londonderry, UK
    I think on the Desire HD (and other recent HTC phones), the notification window (the pull-down thingy mabob) shows recent apps so effectively yes, it is the task chooser. On all Android phones, holding down the Home button is the official way.

Task Killers aren't needed and can worsen battery life. Android manages this for you and closes apps only when the memory is needed, so if you close them in a task manager, it might have to reload apps that shouldn't have been closed, using up battery power.

Using a live wallpaper will use more battery life. Not much more, but if you're desperate to save every last drop of juice then use a static one. Going by the Desire HD's reputation, you probably should use a static wallpaper.

The equivalent to rooting on an Android phone is ticking a box in settings. Rooting is a step further and allows you to read and modify things that 95% of Android users won't even want to know about. If you're up for it then yeah, go for it, but don't feel it is necessary.

I'm not sure about streaming video.

6. The Stig 95

The Stig 95 Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Norway
    To give a nice and clear answer :)

1) A live wallpaper will use a bit more battery than a static one, but i guess you won't notice the difference much :)

2) To root is not the same as jailbreak, and I haven't dared to do it myself yet :) My advice is that you should be absolutely certain before you root.

3) Don't know of any app for that, but you can download files from Dropbox onto your phone and then play with the native video player.

4) Most people think Task Killers are a waste of time, and can worsen your battery life. I wouldn't recommend using one, but you can try to do some tests with and without a task killer just to find out what is best.

Good luck with your brilliant phone :D

7. neTTex

neTTex Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    Middlesbrough
    Yes, live wallpapers will certainly damage the battery life, to the point that some of the best are impractical. Can't help on the video streaming.

Stay away from task killers as a battery saver, uses more, an occaisional sweep could help clear the phone up though.

I had the rooting debate a few months ago, spent hours prouling through forums weighing out the pro/cons, but eventually temptation & curiousity took over and I couldnt resist. Since that day I havent looked back, flashing custom roms is somewhat enjoyable for the tinkerer within. If you enjoy messing around, customizing and general IT then go for it. Over/Underclocking the processor speed can be a great help for battery, by default the DHD is constantly running at 1024MHz, with root, you can reduce this whilst the screen is off to 245MHz followed by having it overclock to more than 1500MHz when the screen is on. Giving you fully loaded guns when in use, but merely dormant when in your pocket.

Hope this helps a lil bit

Tex

8. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    Brighton
    Its worth remembering that the native video player wont play Divx/AVI maybe thats why it wont stream