1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

quick dial / text

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Kevin Todd, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Kevin Todd

Kevin Todd Newbie

I hope my lack of knowledge of terminology will not make this too difficult to understand.

I have an Android X. I have the quick dial thing set up on the main page for my wife. Its the picture with a few drop down boxes. One has a picture of a phone and it says HOME, then a picture of a phone and it says MOBILE, then a picture of an envelope and it says WORK, lastly another envelope and it says MOBILE. I know that the phone means voice call, and the envelope means text. I cant figure out how to switch them. My wifes work number is a land line and obviously I cant text to that number, but when I push the quick dial it comes up with a text box.

How do I switch that?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast

By Android X, do you mean you have a Droid X from motorola? What do you mean by quick dial? Are you adding a widget or shortcut to your homescreen?

3. Kevin Todd

Kevin Todd Newbie

Yes, Motorola Droid X.

I am not sure what the difference between a widget or a short cut is but if I were to wager a guess I would call it a short cut.

4. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast

I have a Droid X also. I'm trying to reproduce what you see. The problem is when I long press the screen to add a shortcut, I don't have a "quick dial" option. I'm assuming what you're talking about is adding a "contact quick task" under the motorola widgets menu. If that's is what you're talking about then follow these steps

1. Delete the current quick dial you have set up by long pressing on the icon and dragging it to the trash.
    2. Re-add the widget by long pressing on the screen and select "motorola widget" from the menu
    3. From the list of widgets select "Contact quick tasks"
    4. Select your wive from the contact list
    5. Check the phone number/email/text that you want to have as a quick contact. If you don't want your wive's work number for texting, then don't check it. Just check the number under "call". It may ask you to make the widget larger before selecting. In that case, you can click on "Select later"
    6. On your homescreen you can resize the widget for more quick task.

I hope that make sense.

Kevin Todd likes this.
  5. Kevin Todd

Kevin Todd Newbie

got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What my problem REALLY was, when the selections came up to select the phone numbers I didnt notice that the numbers were already in a box labeled "call" or "text" I kept on selecting from the wrong box.

Your help Dylo, pointed me in the right direction and cleared things up.
    Thanks a bunch.

6. fisherman72

fisherman72 Lurker

dylo22
    TY for the info you helped me too
    while looking to replace a deleted quick tasks. ^^