• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quick glance only working once?

Paratriad

Lurker
Jun 25, 2013
This seems to be a unique issue, which is why I'm posting it.

I have quick glance enabled, no problem there, and motion gestures enabled, but when I lock my phone and use quick glance it works once after locking it. If I needed to use quick glance again, 20 minutes later, It won't work. I'm using the correct gesture (It works fine the first time). But afterwards I need to unlock my phone, and lock it again, so quick glance will work once.

Has anyone encountered this issue on their phone/know how to solve it?

Most of the other gestures work fine, except for answering calls, which I have problems with when using someone else's phone too.

Stock i337 here using Nova Prime launcher. I've seen similar issues with both quick glance and the hand swipe to answer the phone. For the first issue, the phone must be lying still for it to work. IE, I can't be holding it and count on it to work. Also, the battery must be above some minimum %age too (20%?).

For the 2nd issue, I haven't figured it out yet. It's just an unreliable nicety for me and is not a deal breaker. But I would like for that to work reliably in a perfect world.

Upvote 0
Mine works more than once, but it seems that if I don't use it regularly, the phone forgets that I have it set to Quick Glance and stops doing it. Even if perfectly flat, minding its own business, sitting on a table in a well-lit environment. Even if locked and unlocked repeatedly. It just totally forgets how to work. But once I go back into settings and use "try it," the feature goes back into functionality.

(As a totally random aside, I wish it would work when the phone is immobile, but not flat. Like now, when I have it sitting ever so comfortably in a desk dock. It's at maybe a 60 degree angle, and I would love to just wave at it to see what's up.)

Upvote 0
(As a totally random aside, I wish it would work when the phone is immobile, but not flat. Like now, when I have it sitting ever so comfortably in a desk dock. It's at maybe a 60 degree angle, and I would love to just wave at it to see what's up.)

Ahhha...
That might just be the problem I'm having of it not working while charging.
When it's charging, its in my dock. I didn't realize that it had to be perfectly flat to work.

Upvote 0
I think it's purposefully made so that it only works while stationary and flat. But it also is buggy for me. It will work for a while, and then just stop working. Lighting conditions don't come into play, this can happen during very good light. Once it stops working, it won't start working again until I either restart the phone, or go into the settings and either turn off air gestures as a whole and turn it back on, or just do the same to that one air gesture. Overall, it's not a big deal and probably something they will address when they push a system update.

Oh, and mine works just fine while charging.

I am on Verizon and also using Nova Launcher. I noticed at least one of you also using it. That could be a factor, but I'm thinking it probably isn't.

Upvote 0
This seems to be a unique issue, which is why I'm posting it.

I have quick glance enabled, no problem there, and motion gestures enabled, but when I lock my phone and use quick glance it works once after locking it. If I needed to use quick glance again, 20 minutes later, It won't work. I'm using the correct gesture (It works fine the first time). But afterwards I need to unlock my phone, and lock it again, so quick glance will work once.

Has anyone encountered this issue on their phone/know how to solve it?

Most of the other gestures work fine, except for answering calls, which I have problems with when using someone else's phone too.
I have exact issue with Samsung Note 2. "Quick Glance" works, as many times as I choose, for about 5 minutes...then it quits. If I turn Note back on, then off, quick glance works again - for same 5 mins.

When it works, it seems to do as well in bright light as well as dim, being "motion" oriented. Clearly an issue. Anyone have fix or point us in helpful direction?
Ron

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones