• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick Question About Backups

Nick7893

Jan 12, 2012
Okay, so I have safestrap running eclipse 2.2 on the safe side, and stock on the non safe side. When instructions say "make a backup before flashing the theme" what does it mean? Does this just mean a titanium backup of my apps and system files? Also, if I backup with titanium in eclipse, could I restore it in stock non safe mode? Hope this all makes sense..

Okay, so I have safestrap running eclipse 2.2 on the safe side, and stock on the non safe side. When instructions say "make a backup before flashing the theme" what does it mean? Does this just mean a titanium backup of my apps and system files? Also, if I backup with titanium in eclipse, could I restore it in stock non safe mode? Hope this all makes sense..

You said you have stock on the non safe side, so you made a backup of your stock rom then right? That's basically what it's asking you to do before flashing a rom so if something goes wrong you can restore the backup you made. I have a backup of my stock rom on the non safe side and on the safe side a backup of eclipse 2.2 and the axiom ics rom. If you make a backup of an app in eclipse and try to restore it on the non safe side and it asks to restore data i believe it's best not to.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Nick7893

You said you have stock on the non safe side, so you made a backup of your stock rom then right? That's basically what it's asking you to do before flashing a rom so if something goes wrong you can restore the backup you made. I have a backup of my stock rom on the non safe side and on the safe side a backup of eclipse 2.2 and the axiom ics rom. If you make a backup of an app in eclipse and try to restore it on the non safe side and it asks to restore data i believe it's best not to.

1. It doesn't mean make a back-up of your stock ROM, it means make a back up of your current ROM. So you need to back-up whatever ROM you're running before you add a theme to it (although i'd also recommend that you do make a copy of stock.) It's meant to be a fail safe in case something were to go wrong with the theme and you end up in say a boot loop.

2. Yes I believe you can, and what i'd recommend you do is delete all of your current back ups, then re-back up all apps you want while you're on the ROM you want apps from (i.e: delete all backups in Eclipse, make backups while using eclipse), then switch to stock and do a normal restore. Other useful info: here.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure too, that when you switch between safe and non safe, it automatically backs up whatever system you are coming from. But then you can also do it manually as listed above, boot into safestrap recovery, then backup and restore option, then backup!

I was told then you can move these files and rename them as you like, but that was not the case when I tried to move the backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones