1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Quick question about ROM's

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kingofbang, Apr 30, 2011.

1. kingofbang

kingofbang Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Mountains
    I have ROM Manager, the free version, but i'd like to try out other custom ROM's do I have to buy the ROM manager license to do so? Part 2 of my question would be, where can I find a variety of custom ROM's other than the one I have which is Velocity 1.0. Mind you I am a super new to smartphones, as this is my first one (LG Ally - Froyo 2.2.1), and I've spent days researching and looking up on things before I do try them.

Any help is much appreciated, or perhaps even a link I might have missed in my search.

-Thanks

Advertisement

2. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Dont buy rom manager. There arent any roms on there for the ally now. All we use it for is to install custom recovery. Please read the top sticky. It has most of the roms for froyo 2.2 for the ally. The only other is "Frunisher" which is made my death2all.

kingofbang likes this.
  3. kingofbang

kingofbang Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Mountains
    Okay thanks, just one last quick question, as I did not find the answer anywhere else, but when I download a Custom Rom, lets say Frunisher, where exactly do I put the files on my SD card? and do I put them into a folder, such as Frunisher1.0, because I've noticed the .zip comes with 7 different folders/files.

Note: I have read this thread over and over, but don't fully understand http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/158417-how-flash-roms.html

-Thanks

4. ccsoccer03

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Stick them in the root of the card, which means not in any folder. Just let the zip be by itself. You can still navigate through folders and find it but its easiest to just place it at the very outside.

5. kingofbang

kingofbang Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Mountains
    Ohhh, theres where I misunderstood, I wasn't supposed to unzip it? Foolish me.

Thanks again!

EDIT:

Okay I feel I might as well ask this, hopefully this will really be the last question.

What do I do with ROM Patch files, such as the FrunisherV1.0 there are 2 folders, "META-INF", and "system" am I just doing the same thing, place the .zip in the root, and then flash that .zip folder?

6. ccsoccer03

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Yup. The point of the zip files is just that. Copy to your card. Flash the zip. Easy as that!

kingofbang likes this.
Tags: