• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root quick question about rooted DX

jyarbrough20

Dec 12, 2009
so I am a new DX owner and am rooted..... I am familiar w/ root as I owned a rooted droid and was very comfortable flashing ROMs/Themes or whatever... recovery was easy to get into....and if there was a glitch (i.e. a bootloop) I could get into recovery by first doing a battery pull and then hold power and x to get into recovery and install a nandroid backup.... I have been reading about bootstrap and I guess my question is is how do you get this up if you are in a bootloop to install a backup? I'm a little confused about this process and how it goes kind of hand in hand w/ ROM manager now.... a little different now.... could someone please explain? Thanks..... it may be in another thread and I just haven't come across the answer...sorry if that is the case

I've only used computer.

Rom manager uses bootstrap to backup so if that works, you can actually name it something meaningful first off. O/W you'd have to go back with Root Explorer and name it to something like: Rooted_OTA_2.3.15 or Deodexed_2.3.15 or whatever. You can use underscores or hyphens, but no spaces.

rom_manager.jpg

Upvote 0
If you're bootstrapped with Koush's, it's a matter of re-boots in under 2 minutes.

I just pull the battery. Boot up. As soon as it starts, pull the battery again. Boot up. As soon as it starts, pull it again. Give about 10 seconds between pulls. I don't use a USB connection during the trip-recovery trick.

So, as soon as it hits "M logo", pull, wait 10 count, repeat. If you're bootstrapped, it will force it into Koush's recovery on the 3rd reboot (just let it go).

You can even end up there by accident, this way, because you re-booted, then swapped batteries, and wondered why it ended up in recovery. Using the re-boot option, after, will allow it to boot like normal.

/I believe it should happen on the second, but on occassions I've had it take three re-boots (maybe I didn't wait long enough, or another user error).

Upvote 0
I've only used computer.

Rom manager uses bootstrap to backup so if that works, you can actually name it something meaningful first off. O/W you'd have to go back with Root Explorer and name it to something like: Rooted_OTA_2.3.15 or Deodexed_2.3.15 or whatever. You can use underscores or hyphens, but no spaces.

rom_manager.jpg

Just to repeat what Colchiro said; NO SPACES IN THE NAME.

Whether you use ROM Manager, or re-name it after. You will not be able to restore from one, if you do (unless you re-name it manually again).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones