1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Quick question on your thoughts on choosing best smartphones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by suki, Apr 6, 2011.

1. suki

suki Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi guys
    I would appreciate a lot if you check out this survey :

Smartphone End User Survey

It's asking you what improvements you would like to see in a
    next generation phone, especially on the hardware side.

It'll take just 2 minutes and I will post the results when enough answers
    are collected!

If you would like to directly answer to the questions on this page, or maybe bost a written comment on anything related to your expectations on future smartphones, then I will be more than happy to have you just freely discuss with me. The main questions are as follows:

1. Based on your experience with your smartphones/phones, what
    do you most expect to be improved among the following list?
    (Select three)
    1. I want my phone to become thinner
    2. I want my phone to become lighter
    3. I want my phone's display quality to be enhanced
    4. I want my phone to become more durable(unbreakable)
    5. I want my phone to have a more unique design/formfactor
    6. I want my phone to have an extended battery life
    7. I want my phone to have an extended memory
    8. I want my phone to operate on a faster speed
    9. I want my phone to have an enhanced camera feature
    10. Others

2. There are two glass sheets inside a display component attatched to your phone. Which of the following advantages do you think will be most significant when those sheets are replaced by a single plastic sheet? (Select one)
    1. Thinner feature (In case of iPhone 4, the current 9.3mm will become 8.45mm)
    2. Lighter weigtht (In case of iPhone 4, the current 137g will become 122g)
    3. Durability (Unbreakable feature)
    4. Innovative design (ex. Curved design)
    5. There are no advantages
    6. There are other advantages not in the list

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. suki

suki Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Double post

3. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    In the first section I picked OTHER because I'd like to see a waterproof design. The Droid X I have already has most all the features I want and they are listed already.

Nice survey and if English is your second language, you have an excellent grasp of it!!

suki likes this.
  4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    Voted on the site, but here are my answers:

1. Lighter, better battery life and better camera
    2. Thinner

Although, the glass being replaced by plastic is actually a negative to me, as glass is much more scratch resistant than plastic, especially the Gorilla Glass so many makers are using now. I'll gladdly give up a few grams of weight in return for a screen that won't easily scratch. Never broken a screen on a phone, I'm not too rough on them, but my work phone "Motorola i465... hate that thing) has a plastic screen (non-touch), and it is scratched to hell, and I always try to be careful with it. That's been my experience with every other plastic screen I've had in the past, glass is the way to go right now.

suki likes this.
  5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

In question 1 I responded...

3. Higher resolution screen
    4. More durable
    6. Longer battery

In question 2 I responded...

More durable.

Although I agree that I prefer glass as well unless they've come out with a special plastic that doesn't scratch that I'm not aware of. Gorilla Glass is awesome, I want to move away from Motorola so that my next device can have an unlocked bootloader, but my next favorite OEM (HTC) doesn't use Gorilla Glass, they make their own glass that is supposed to be just like Gorilla Glass.

However a friend of mine has an EVO, and his dropped from his couch cussion onto his tile floor (about a foot and a half to two foot drop) and his screen absolutely shattered. I was shocked! My phone has flung out of my hand and onto concrete before (almost at the same force as if I'd thrown it down in anger), landed on the screen... and there is not a scratch on it to show for it. That experience sold me on Gorilla Glass.

Oh how I wish HTC would start using it.

suki likes this.
  6. suki

suki Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Waterproof design is definitely a plus for me. I would have bought the Motorola Defy (dunno if it's only released in my country...) only if its screen was bigger. I love the fact that I could use it in the rain or at a beach without constantly wiping off every drop of water on the screen!:p

7. suki

suki Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I agree with you in that the old plastic cover material is awfully scratchable. But in fact, they say some new materials in plastic are in development which can be just as scratch resistant as the gorilla glass and softer on the surface.
    I don't know how it'll exactly look or feel on the phone but I guess it'll at least be much lighter and thinner?:rolleyes:

8. suki

suki Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    hm...didn't think glass without extra hardness is that fragile! I once slipped my phone while pealing some chewing gum wrapper and the phone fell all the way down the escalater which was with no exaggeration more than 150meters long....it was just fine except a little scratch was spotted on the back. I looked up now and it indeed is gorilla glass!

9. mrqs

mrqs Android Expert
    None

question 1 is kinda missing a "new features" -option (personally i'm bummed that none of the top android phones have an fm transmitter)

and qustion 2 - i'm pretty sure it'll have a positive impact on the visual quality of the screen

10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I think that given the trend of smartphones capable of doing more and more (thanks to Android), battery capacity really needs to catch up. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of the phones aren't the ones manufacturing the batteries, so it's out of their hands.

Capacitive touchscreens are glass-based, and are prone to catastrophic damage. Also, for you Gorilla-glass fans, don't think that GG can't shatter like regular ol' glass. It does. GG is scratch resistant, not shatter resistant. Manufacturers should use shock-absorbent materials in the phone body itself, especially at the corners. Manufacturers are too busy copying iPhone's aesthetics that they aren't thinking about the impracticality of having a full pane of glass extending to the very corners of the phone. So stupid.

Hadn't heard about a plastic capacitive screen. It would definitely be shatterproof, but also more prone to scratches. It will also feel cheaper. I prefer a little heft to my device. It makes me more aware of its fragility (dropping an electrical device is never a good thing), and I'd be more careful with it. My old blackberry was super light, and I dropped it all the time.

11. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC

I rated most things on a number scale rather than a yes/no. You decide if you want to put it in the yes column or no column.

12. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looks like battery life is what people want most at 83%. Faster is second at 60 something.