1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Quick question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by breakshift, Feb 11, 2011.

1. breakshift

breakshift Newbie

Hey, my internal phone storage is at about 80-85% full - and I'm just wondering if this is likely to cause the phone to slow down at all? Someone once told me that, for Windows, it's best to keep your HDD at 50% full or lower... does that translate to the DHD?

Advertisement

2. Gardium

Gardium Well-Known Member

Don't know who told you 50% on Windows. It's more likely somewhat about 80% for Windows, then you should start to notice a bit slow functions. However, this only applies to normal computers that don't use solid state disks.

All modern phones that have internal storage use memory chips (i.e. they are almost like solid state disks, except that they are built a bit differently in terms of space and functionality. Thus SSDs can be 100's of GB big, but internal phone memory rarely goes over 1.5 GB). Therefore you will not have the same problem with smartphones becoming laggy because of full internal memory (however, it's a different case with the RAM, I'm reconning you are asking about internal storage memory).

The reason Hard Drives (the conventional ones that spin) become laggy as they fill up, is the read speed of these HDD. As they have to move a reader head around (and depending on your fragmentation of the disk, i.e. when the head moves around it has to sometime write files in two pieces that can be spread from each other, but an index system keeps track of where each piece is) it takes more and more time to find files and read them complete as the HDD becomes fuller and fuller :)

Hope that explanation helped :D