• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick root/unroot on Razr Maxx

Sluggo311

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
I have been told by an app developer that in order to get the app to run as I want it to, I need to root the device and move some files into a different folder. I have searched this forum (and others) but didn't find exactly what I needed.
I'm not waht you would call a "techie" but I am a tinkerer. Other than making this app do what I want, I'm not sure I would reap any other benefits from the root process, and I don't know what the possible downside(s) are to owning a rooted device. So my thinking is: Root the device, move the files, and then re/un-root it immediately after.
That being said, There are some changes I wouldn't mind seeing; removing unused bloat being number one on the list.
All this being said, any recommendations out there? Any quick ways to root, do my thing, and unroot? Or should I just leave it rooted so I can make changes as I see fit? And, what if any downside is there?
Thanks for helping an old noob (I hope that's how you spell "noob", I hear my boys say it but haven't seen it written out before!)

Droid Razr Maxx ICS OTA (took me a while to figure that one out) 4.04 System version 6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US

Just a heads up, removing some of the bloatware instead of just disabling it may take you off the upgrade path in the future.

Remember I'm a noob! What upgrade path? Meaning if I remove some bloatware I won't be able to upgrade to the next version of Android? If so, how would I go about disabling the bloat? I've tried using the menu options and the only option I see is to 'uninstall updates' which I presume is to 'go-back' to a previous version of the app if it's buggy with the latest update.
Facebook is a good example. I can't remove it or disable it (that I know of). I can force close, but it comes right back when I re-start the phone. Frustrating stuff. Who actually owns the dang phone after all!?!

Upvote 0
Remember I'm a noob! What upgrade path? Meaning if I remove some bloatware I won't be able to upgrade to the next version of Android? If so, how would I go about disabling the bloat? I've tried using the menu options and the only option I see is to 'uninstall updates' which I presume is to 'go-back' to a previous version of the app if it's buggy with the latest update.
Facebook is a good example. I can't remove it or disable it (that I know of). I can force close, but it comes right back when I re-start the phone. Frustrating stuff. Who actually owns the dang phone after all!?!

Yes, getting newer versions can be a problem, you first need to uninstall updates, then the button should change to disable.

A few of the Google apps seem to re-enable themselves at times, I just disable them again if I get an update notice.

Reactions: Sluggo311
Upvote 0
After a LONG year with a iOS I've returned to a android device.
I just got a Razr Maxx HD and cant find if its un-rootable yet?
Ive seen theads that say the Razr is but I'm not sure if that means the Maxx HD is as well.
Is it and if so can someone direct me to where I can find out how to?

Its just out of the box and charging up!

Thanks

Upvote 0
After a LONG year with a iOS I've returned to a android device.
I just got a Razr Maxx HD and cant find if its un-rootable yet?
Ive seen theads that say the Razr is but I'm not sure if that means the Maxx HD is as well.
Is it and if so can someone direct me to where I can find out how to?

Its just out of the box and charging up!

Thanks

Woah, not to be rude, just making sure you don't accidentally mess up your device, but there is another forum for the RAZR HD / RAZR Maxx HD so you wanna go there to find root stuff instead of on here which could potentially harm your phone :)

Reactions: Kelmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones