• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick ?'s on the 2.1 Leak vs. rooting

I am sure this has been answered in the forums somewhere but I have read through some and am getting confused...if someone can just answer the following it would help me a lot- getting anxious about the 2.1 update from VZW/HTC - I want it and I want it now....

Thanks in advance -

The 2.1 leak

- will I get the OTA updated for 2.1 if I am on the leak? I am very anxious to get the new Sense UI and access to 2.0 apps
- what is the difference between "root 2.1" and "leak 2.1" - just the HTC Sense?
- Can I root my phone and then put the 2.1 leak on?
- Can I go back to 1.5 from 2.1 leak if I need to?

Thanks again - love the forums and love my Eris - just want the fancy new Sense UI....and somehting to do at work today considering everyone ELSE is off!!!

I am sure this has been answered in the forums somewhere but I have read through some and am getting confused...if someone can just answer the following it would help me a lot- getting anxious about the 2.1 update from VZW/HTC - I want it and I want it now....

Thanks in advance -

The 2.1 leak

- will I get the OTA updated for 2.1 if I am on the leak? I am very anxious to get the new Sense UI and access to 2.0 apps No one really knows, but theoretically, if the build number of the leak and the official OTA update are different, you will get the OTA.
- what is the difference between "root 2.1" and "leak 2.1" - just the HTC Sense? Root is a more complicated process that allows complete access to the phone's operating system. The leak is just a file that updates your phone to version 2.1. Two different things. I hope that was your question...
- Can I root my phone and then put the 2.1 leak on? I believe so, but check out the "All things root" sub-forum just to be sure.
- Can I go back to 1.5 from 2.1 leak if I need to? No I don't believe so.

Thanks again - love the forums and love my Eris - just want the fancy new Sense UI....and somehting to do at work today considering everyone ELSE is off!!!

Answers in bold. Disclaimer: I am not much of an expert, so if someone else has more knowledge, please feel free to correct or add anything.

Reactions: paligap
Upvote 0
Answers in bold. Disclaimer: I am not much of an expert, so if someone else has more knowledge, please feel free to correct or add anything.

Thanks so much for replying - I appreciate the quick, concise answers...

LOVE THESE FORUMS - Caddyman, OTD, Matlock (I am sure I am forgetting someone) are all great on helping out the community. All my friends are on Iphones and I was tempted to get one but then saw the DROID (can anyone read that word and not hear the DROID from the ad in their head - hahaha) and fell in love...

I am 99% going to do the update today to the leak - tired of waiting and want the newest, latest, greatest (true definition of a gadget geek, huh?).

Upvote 0
First off, welcome to the forum. Search is a great feature. Works very good here. Here is a post to point you in the correct direction. There are like 100 threads about this already, FYI

http://androidforums.com/all-things...d-new-faq-tutorials-updated-04-01-2010-a.html
droidkevlar -

Thanks - I know there are but I was getting really confused on the terminology. Appreciate the link - saw that but, again, was getting confused...

Think I am going to take the plunge today to 2.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones