• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick skinny on aosp roms?

I didn't notice it not being on as soon as I plugged it in....

with extended batteries they say to leave charging a while after it says full anyway, because phone says it is full at level a normal battery would.

I'll give it a rest tonight and see how it does tomorrow and then try to pay attention to green light when I plug it in tomorrow.

thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0
Is there anything special to know about updating prl or profiles with this combo?
you can't update prl and profile in cm7. it needs to be in a sense rom to do it.

I know you're supposed to reboot between rom and kernel, but has anyone tried it all in one step? It's been too long since I flashed CM7, but I wanna say it just did it all at once (Rom, Kernel, and Gapps)... everything is working... but again, it was several weeks ago, so I could have rebooted and just not remembered it..?
technically you can flashing everything all at once, if you want to. it is just that if you start to run into issues that it will be really hard trying to troubleshoot when you do it that way. i always flash everything seprately

I didn't notice it not being on as soon as I plugged it in....

with extended batteries they say to leave charging a while after it says full anyway, because phone says it is full at level a normal battery would.

I'll give it a rest tonight and see how it does tomorrow and then try to pay attention to green light when I plug it in tomorrow.

thanks for all your help!
sbc actually work better charging overnight. i have not tried it with an extended battery though.

Reactions: DaRayvn
Upvote 0
CM7 7.1 RC1 is the nightly's version....its not a final release so there i a possibility of encountering bugs....

this will take you to the stable and nightly's...

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

7.1 is the most recent stable version for CM7, it is a release candidate.

IMO though, I've always had better luck with the nightlies. I've always thought that the RC's and such were not as good as the nightlies

Upvote 0
but you can update profile and prl on any of the sense roms if you choose to correct?? its just the Firmware and HTC Software that you dont want to? I know dont accept OTA's but i are firmware and Software condsidered the OTA's?

correct that you can make a nandroid backup and flash a sense rom and then update prl and profile then nandroid restore cm7.

and you are absolutely correct in never accepting ota's. yes and no. most ota's are software up dates. firmware i believe can be done over the air as well. i have yet to see a firmware update myself.

Upvote 0
What happens if you do try to update prl and profile in a non sense rom? Does it mess anything up or is it just not supported?

I am having good reception with my current set up, so that is good. I guess i had updated them after installing most of the sense roms i have tried.

So if I understand it, the prl and profile settings stay the same from what they were in a sense (or other) rom when you flash an aosp rom? So that would be the way to go if you actually needed to update them?

Upvote 0
What happens if you do try to update prl and profile in a non sense rom? Does it mess anything up or is it just not supported?

I am having good reception with my current set up, so that is good. I guess i had updated them after installing most of the sense roms i have tried.

So if I understand it, the prl and profile settings stay the same from what they were in a sense (or other) rom when you flash an aosp rom? So that would be the way to go if you actually needed to update them?

that option is not there to update them. and you are correct. they do for the most part stay the same. though some will say that every time you flash a sense rom, you should update your profile and prl.

Upvote 0
that option is not there to update them. and you are correct. they do for the most part stay the same. though some will say that every time you flash a sense rom, you should update your profile and prl.

wow, guess nothing catastrophic will happen if you were to try then.... :D

I thought I saw the option before, but ur right, it just aint there. Maybe it was on the "merged" rom? Or maybe I am just dreaming.... :eek:

Upvote 0
I checked out Ocn's tip re: the setcpu features of cm7 and found them in the cm settings under performance. I had backed out of there last night when I read the warning that pops up when you enter. didn't want to break my phone right before bed... again.

I had setcpu installed today but did not use a screenoff profile because I thought I had read somewhere a post not to use it with that rom/kernel combo. I looked at the frequency usage chart in setcpu today and saw that it was behaving pretty much as if I did have that profile running anyway. It did not use the 128 min that was available though, spent the majority of non use time at 245.

The rom had defaulted to the Smartass Governor, read about it here [Q] SetCPU governors (explained) - xda-developers

It looks like a really good option and my battery life today has been tolerable, especially seeing as i have been messing with this new rom all day.

I decided to uninstall setcpu and just let this rom do it's thang...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones