• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick skinny on aosp roms?

So I am going to try CM7 with Tiamat sbc kernel, and I suppose i need to flash Gapps too.

So what exactly is the procedure? Rom first, reboot then kernel? when do you put on gapps?

Is that right?

Yes you need to flash the gapps zip too...the latest version is in the link below under AOSP Roms....

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html

When i did it, i flashed the rom first, reboot, then the gapps zip, reboot, then the kernel....i dont think it would matter if you went kernel before gapps though...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response!

ok, I just put on the rom. it looks like my old Moment. I am exploring it as is for a little bit.

what kernel does it come with originally, can it be underclocked for setcpu screenoff profiles?

I just saw it has rom manager on it, leave it alone? It didn't change my recovery i hope, I'll see soon.

so if I put on gapps, will that hook it back up to google to get my contacts, or what? I know it gives you market and vvm. what if you don't have vvm, what do you have then?

what about gps and 4g and wireless and usb tethering?do they work out of the box or do they need "fixes" ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response!

ok, I just put on the rom. it looks like my old Moment. I am exploring it as is for a little bit.

what kernel does it come with originally, can it be underclocked for setcpu screenoff profiles?

I just saw it has rom manager on it, leave it alone? It didn't change my recovery i hope, I'll see soon.

so if I put on gapps, will that hook it back up to google to get my contacts, or what? I know it gives you market and vvm. what if you don't have vvm, what do you have then?

what about gps and 4g and wireless and usb tethering?do they work out of the box or do they need "fixes" ?

I couldnt tell you what kernel comes with it...i never looked...i just flashed the tiamat kernel....

no it wont change your recovery....

yes the gapps zip will hook back up too google....as soon as you flash the gapps zip and reboot it will go right to the google setup screen....as far as i knew all the evo's come with vvm...its apart of the voicemail ....its just like a shortcut so you dont have to actually call your cell phone number to get to listen to your voicemails.....you might be thinking of vtt (voicemail to text)..

i am running the stable version....CM7 7.0.3.1 and gps, 4g, wireless, usb tethering, hotspot all work...on the nightly's i dunno cuz i've never flashed the 7.1 version

Upvote 0
I couldnt tell you what kernel comes with it...i never looked...i just flashed the tiamat kernel....

no it wont change your recovery....

yes the gapps zip will hook back up too google....as soon as you flash the gapps zip and reboot it will go right to the google setup screen....as far as i knew all the evo's come with vvm...its apart of the voicemail ....its just like a shortcut so you dont have to actually call your cell phone number to get to listen to your voicemails.....you might be thinking of vtt (voicemail to text)..

i am running the stable version....CM7 7.0.3.1 and gps, 4g, wireless, usb tethering, hotspot all work...on the nightly's i dunno cuz i've never flashed the 7.1 version

i got the one off the rom sticky page, it the stable one?

Upvote 0
I think its ok to update profile and prl....its just the OTA's you dont want to accept....BUT i am not 100% sure about profile and prl.....i wouldnt do anything with them until someone can chime in with a lil more knowledge on that.....sorry

thanks for chiming at all! I am really getting a kick out of this, put the stable one on, going to do the gapps and kernel sometime soon... :D

Upvote 0
wow, aosp is really cool. I can't think what I am missing here that would make me want to go with sense roms, as much as I like Mike3D. guess that will be my other go to rom. Might use that multirom app and drive myself nuts... :D

right, you can still put all the apps on and practically everything you use on sense roms....you just dont have the sense features thats all....plus AOSP are tiny comparted to sense, leaving you with more internal storage and more free memory....but some people really like the sense features...i really like sense but honestly i can live without it...its all personal preference...

Upvote 0
i think sense is purty, but ur right, lots of space for apps, saw in settings for this release something about being able to move apps to external storage, too. Not sure whole story on that, but if that is a2sd support, then that would be even more room, if you needed it.

Upvote 0
i think sense is purty, but ur right, lots of space for apps, saw in settings for this release something about being able to move apps to external storage, too. Not sure whole story on that, but if that is a2sd support, then that would be even more room, if you needed it.

yah, AOSP is so small that i dont think there is a need to....on the sense 3.0 roms its not a bad idea to partition your sd but only if your an app nut lol....the only thing with partitioning your sd is that you should have at least a 16Gb class 6 card for the rd/rw process

Upvote 0
I know you're supposed to reboot between rom and kernel, but has anyone tried it all in one step? It's been too long since I flashed CM7, but I wanna say it just did it all at once (Rom, Kernel, and Gapps)... everything is working... but again, it was several weeks ago, so I could have rebooted and just not remembered it..?

Upvote 0
I took it one step at a time and rebooted in between. this is my first aosp rom, really, and I was busy checking stuff out in between times.

using the sbc kernel with n extended battery, how does this thing report full charge? when it says it is full, is it, or should you let it trickle on for a while?

Upvote 0
I know you're supposed to reboot between rom and kernel, but has anyone tried it all in one step? It's been too long since I flashed CM7, but I wanna say it just did it all at once (Rom, Kernel, and Gapps)... everything is working... but again, it was several weeks ago, so I could have rebooted and just not remembered it..?

i have never tried it....i had asked about it one time and ocn advised me not to...best to reboot between flashes...it may work though...i think i'll pass on trying it lol...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i have never tried it....i had asked about it one time and ocn advised me not to...best to reboot between flashes...it may work though...i think i'll pass on trying it lol...

Yeah, I've always read to do it too. I just for the life of me can't remember actually rebooting this last time. I usually install the kernel a day or so later, but it seems like this time I just went for it. Damn, wish I could remember.

Well, offer still stands to anyone flashing tonight ;)

Upvote 0
I took it one step at a time and rebooted in between. this is my first aosp rom, really, and I was busy checking stuff out in between times.

using the sbc kernel with n extended battery, how does this thing report full charge? when it says it is full, is it, or should you let it trickle on for a while?

i got buy if it says "charged" if you notice when your charging with an SBC that around 90% that little green led comes on where that little silver screen is on top of your phone....but it will actually charge another 10%....SBC's are awesome

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones