1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Quick way to change default keyboards on the S3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by svbooks, Aug 9, 2013.

1. svbooks

svbooks Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2013
    I use a portable laser barcode scanner w/ my S3. Some apps support SerialMagic and they work seemless with the scanner (a Scanfob 2002).

For those apps that do not support SerialMagic, I need to set the default keyboard to SerialMagic Keys instead of the Samsung keyboard; this allows the scanner to scan right into any given text field.

(I want to switch keyboards off & on because for general typing, I vastly prefer the Samsung keyboard to the SerialMagic keyboard.)

On my last Android phone, the process was easy: I would press and hold in any text box and the menu to change keyboards would pop up.

However on the S3, the only way I know to do this is to using the Settings -> Language and Input -> Default (keyboard) menu.

So the quickest way I currently know is to press/hold the home key to get to the task list, then select press Settings (which takes me to the Language and Input screen), then press Default and select my choice of keyboards.

Is there a faster way???
    The above way is a bit of a pain.

Note: Sometimes, in my pulldown info, I see a "set default keyboard" option come up in the Ongoing list. But I don't know what causes that; I'd love it to be there ALL the time or have something else that easy.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. legalkill

legalkill Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    In my s3 if you are using a keyboard, in the notification panel there is a choose input method that shows up.

svbooks likes this.
  3. svbooks

svbooks Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2013
    Right, that's EXACTLY what I want, but that notification only comes up occasionally, and I cannot say why/when. If I could figure out how to always have that notification available ...

... OH, WAIT ... You got me thinking. I now see that when the cursor goes into a text box, the notification to "select input method" is there; didn't know that before. That's just one extra keystroke, not bad at all. THANKS for starting me down the path!

4. w0rd

w0rd Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    FL, USA
    It comes up anytime the keyboard is up. I usually go in and pretend to create a new text message to get the keyboard to pop up and then pull down the notification bar and change keyboards.